Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A bit like Christmas

So how do yo do your Christmas decorating? Not what it looks like - but do you put it all up at once or do it casually a bit at a time? Or do you hire someone else to do it for you (somehow I don't think folks who read my blog are that type but you never know!)

In the past I was really organized...I would put some containers in the middle of the room and go around taking down my year-round decorations, pottery, and some photos. Then I would clean and polish all the surfaces. Then would come the boxes with the Christmas "stuff." I would spend a weekend arranging (and rearranging!) I even have a change out a few of the paintings on the wall to ones with winter scenes!

Well fast forward to this year by passing a couple of moves and MS...I've developed a new method I'm calling Christmas Creep. It started the first week of November as the Halloween decorations were boxed up. Instead of getting the raku vase out of the cabinet when the Jack'o'lantern left the top of the bookcase bare I went right to the Santa Elf.....besides I had to move the Elf to get the Halloween box back into the closet!

This past weekend we also cleaned the garage a bit. (My DH wants to park his new car in the garage...can you believe that?! anyway...that is an entire post all on its own.) I found boxes of Christmas "stuff" that hadn't been unpacked in 5 years (or two moves in "crazy life" time.) As I unpacked I had to make decisions...if I wasn't going to put it up in the house this year it had to go to charity.
Good "quilt" news - I found three quilt tops I thought were lost forever. They were used by one of the packers as packing material around some German nutcrackers! Just what I needed - a few more UFOs!Back to the decorating...the creep continues. Every-room as a little bit of Christmas in it already so even if I stopped now it wouldn't be too Scrooge-ish. It takes the pressure off a bit. (I live in a neighborhood where holiday decorating is a like and Olympic sport....I think some of them have Martha S. on speed-dial)

Still have a few boxes to go and need to work on the front door but I think i will wait until it is December for that!

13 comments:

regan said...

Love the nutcracker display! And I'm so glad you found the quilt tops! They are great! And they have a story attached to them now! Cool!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

I love finding quilt tops - it always brings a smile to my face. And you found some beauties!!

sewprimitive karen said...

You are holding your own in that neighborhood!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You're doing great! I casually do a little bit at a time, if I start at all.

AnnieO said...

Wow, packing material? At least they have been found intact, even if a bit misused!

I am the only decorator so I do the "Fits and Starts" method, whereby I take out a box or two at a time, fish around for my favorites and put those up, then a couple of days later repeat the process. I don't put out everything every year. 7 boxes of Christmas decorations is just too much!

antique quilter said...

I am so glad you found your quilt tops
both of them are beautiful.
Love that star quilt!
nothing like red, white and blue quilts.
ok there is red, green and cheddar!

I decorate all at once , unless I buy something new then it comes in the house and gets put where I want it and stays until I start decorating!

decorate the way you want and with what you want! you have to love it and please enjoy it!
keeping up with the Jones is hard, yes I live in that type of neighborhood too!
Kathie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Fun post! Just being practical having Martha S. on speed dial!
Glad you found your temporary lost quilts
Very pretty Christmas decorations.

Erika Mulvenna said...

Our decorating has definitely taken a turn with a 2 year old in the house! It's all about decorations that are either unbreakable or out of reach!

Love those quilt tops - have you found all the great quilting links at www.WeAllSew.com yet?

Gail said...

I'm doing the Xmas Creep this year too. Since none of the family will be coming to my house for Xmas day or Eve, what's the point of putting out EVERYTHING. I'm putting up wreaths, greens, candles and maybe some of my Eldreth Pottery Santas but I'm drawing the line at changing out the everyday dishes for the Xmas dishes. LOL

Gail :)

Mary Johnson said...

We do very, very little decorating in fact I have 3 Jime Shore figurines that I've left up for the last 2 years. We'll add a small tree and maybe some lights outside on the deck, a couple Christmas quilts and I'm done.

love the star top!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm definitely creeping this year. Halloween still up and yet so is the Christmas tree. we're doing Hallowistmas.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Love those quilt tops. But I especially love your nutcrackers. I have the one on the half circle horse. I have to show you some of mine if I ever get around to digging them out this year.