Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fall Cleaning

The last week has been so busy with getting the house ready for the holidays...and of course I overdid it. The good news I left the "heavy lifting" such as power-washing the house, cleaning the windows inside and out, and cleaning the carpets to the professionals.

Brownie's idea of helping with clean-up...

Gathering all the wandering quilting materials however wasn't something I could leave to anyone else...I think it is safe to say there was not a room without some quilting/fabric item in it. This was definitely a roundup!

So my Dining room is now a dining-room again...there is no risk in the kitchen of getting cookie batter on the cutting mat...the treadmill no longer is a fabric auditioning rack and if for some reason a guest peeks under the sofa they will not find a pile of quilting books and magazines (and a bag with my missing hexagons!) To be honest it is a bit blah now but there is however now lots of space to put out my Holiday decorations!

Part of the clean-up also involved refolding some quilts in the guestroom closet and rotating some of the quilts on display. I do this at least twice a year. This is a "rescue" quilt I found many years ago...the quilting is amazing but the applique fabric is in poor shape. I love the design though. I've heard it called both a pinecone and grapes. (I love pine but I think the leaves make grapes more appropriate.) Each time I take this out of the box and refold I get the urge to make a reproduction of it...my fingers are itching again!

But I still have to "de-quilt" the library...it had great light in there for handwork but for the next month I will remain relegated to the sewing room (not grand enough to be called a studio!)

11 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, it's beautiful. I'm glad that you rescued this one. Would it be possible to restore the berries?

Gypsy Quilter said...

Now that the pros are done at your house, please send them up here. My windows seem to have gotten paint on them.

Love the quilt, it's still beautiful!

Dionne said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love it. I've never seen that pattern before. I'm so impressed you rotate your quilts around. I need to do that!
Cheers,
Dionne

Loris said...

Brownie looks to be doing a wonderful job! I love the quilt you rescued. It is really beautiful and even with the worn out fabric still looks inspiring.

Scrappy quilter said...

It is very pretty. I love rescued quilts..there is just something about them.

antique quilter said...

oh please do!!!! I would love a copy of the pattern its a quilt I would make in a heartbeat!
just beautiful. glad to hear you refold your quilts we forget to do that.
I pull mine down every few months and refold them too.
I hate those crease lines!
thanks for sharing your antique quilts and blocks with us
I always enjoy seeing them...maybe some day I will be lucky enough to buy an antique quilt.
Kathie

Lori said...

What a wonderful old quilt!
It feels good to get the house in order huh? That's my job this weekend. Prepping for company too.

Janet said...

What a gorgeous old quilt. Even with the fabric deteriorating its so very beautiful.

sewprimitive karen said...

Wonderful quilt. Brownie is so sweet and such pretty fur.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love that quilt! I can see why you would want to make it! I personally like Brownie's way of helping! That is my kind of help!

Karen said...

There must be about a million circles on the red & green quilt!