Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why not? I'll tell ya why....

So many phrases come to mind describing my current situation...the road to good intentions....aaarrggggh.

Some of you many have seen a post by Bonnie Hunter a few days ago asking for photos of one of her patterns in different colorways. I happened to read that at the same time as I was clearing up my cutting table. I just happened to have a bag of blue and white strips left over from a blue and white log cabin so I figured - why not....
An hour or so later - ta da! - a blue and white. I quickly snapped a photo and put the block in the mail pile intending to send it to Bonnie. My DH usually does the trips to the Post Office - insert trouble here.

Later that evening I found the block on our bed...I put it back on the mail table. The next morning I found it back on the bed..."gremlins!" I'm thinking. So as I put it on the mail table my husband stops me and said, "I think you should make that one King size so we can use it on our bed. You can make it for me for Christmas!" He left for work before my ability to speak came back....

I called him at work, " no way could I finish a King size quilt for you by Christmas...at least this Christmas."
"Why not?" he asked. Why not? Why not...let me count the ways...
1. I have five quilts waiting for binding that I have to finish before the end of the year.
2. I have a list of people to make cookies for which when added up means I'll be baking over 50 dozen cookies over the next couple of weeks.
3. I will be on the road for one week in December with no access to a sewing machine...
4. I've already pulled fabric to start Bonnie's new Mystery Quilt...
5. I just made a blue and white quilt and I never (well not often) use the same fabrics two quilts in a row...

You are all quilters so I don't have to go much further...his reply to all of this..."I thought I was helping by letting you know what I wanted...besides you made one for your Mother one year in December."

So today I am cutting up strips to make a king size guilt...if you don't hear from me soon send coffee and chocolate.....

24 comments:

julieQ said...

Why not?? Snort!!! I so totally agree with you in that whole scenario...when I am totally swamped with stuff!! snort again!

Dionne said...

This is so funny. My DH has the same perspective, especially when it comes to stuff for him. I'll be sending you cyber support and fabric hugs.
Cheers
Dionne

AnnieO said...

You do realize you put "king sized guilt"...too funny! At least the mystery of the roaming block was solved. I say make him a robe size and let him be king.

Scrappy quilter said...

Too funny!! I love that block though. Can't wait to see the quilt when it's finished. Hugs

regan said...

You're a good wife, and now you get to make an extra long honey-do list! Enjoy THAT thought while your sewing! Sweet!

regan

tirane93 said...

but of course you DO have to reward that kind of behavior, he's absolutely right. what a treat it is for your spouse to take an active interest in something you love! i'll send you two blocks towards your goal (if you email me the dimensions you want and your addy). maybe some of your other readers can send you a few extra hours in which to do the work!

Kasey said...

Oh, how familiar that sounds... my husband discovered I was in fact making him a quilt for Christmas, and THE DAY BEFORE I took it to the longarm quilter, he told me "how much it would mean" if I did ALL the quilting myself. His words when the shocked glare started, "You know, good practice." They have such good intentions...
I just pulled an apple pie out of my oven, and as soon as it's cool, I'll be a lot less stressed!

Jill said...

All I can say is...Please your heart! The things we do for the people we love!

quiltmom anna said...

Sio,
What we do for the ones that we love- I do love your beautiful block- it will be a real beauty when you get finished.
Good luck with all your baking and quilting. You are going to be one busy lady.
Warmest regards.
Anna

antique quilter said...

LOL < this cracked me up!!!!
ok, do you need to me to send you some blue strips????
some chocolate treats to keep you going???
just let me know I am routing for you
I have that quilt on my list to make some day too!
Kathie

Carolyn said...

Wow, you're a good wife. I did spot that "King size Guilt" line in your post. I guess that's what your husband laid on you so that you'd make it? :o)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

oh! Sio! hahaha! Good luck! I'm in total denial about all that needs to be done for xmas time...Felling for ya girl! ;-) husbands, bless their hearts!

Paula, the quilter said...

Now that is funny! The men in our lives are always so well intentioned aren't they. But you gotta love 'em! Good luck with this.

Elaine Adair said...

How nice that he picked one out! Timing? not so nice. Hey, you have one really good excuse to simply drop all the other "have-to's" and make that quilt. He'll definitely understand the time involved! Oh yeahhh, it IS a neat block!

Teresa Rawson said...

"Yeah, wifey-pooh...just whip one out!" I LOVE it!! My husband has been painstakingly trained not to say this, but many others around me say this sort of thing ALL THE TIME!! King-sized, no less! It is nice to know what they really and truly want, though.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Mary Johnson said...

I know just how you feel....although the binding I'm stitching down now was a year and a half In the making from when I bought the fabric and intended to make Keith's quilt. He doesn't ask for much but somehow this one took me a while to start.. Its not king size....just 75x94... But I always procrastinate on the big ones!

KQ Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KQ Sue said...

Darn typos!
Blow the block size up, it will need less blocks. I love the blues, you used.
I want to do Bonnie's new mystery quilt, but I don't like pink. Tweeking it up to red, would not work in my house. I wonder if blues and browns will work, that is more my house's colors. I guess I will find out.

Quilts And Pieces said...

At least he didn't want it for Thanksgiving!

qltmom9 said...

LOL! You are SO sweet to do that for him! OH, how I long to come sew for days with you on your blue and white.~

I can't blame your dh...THAT is pretty!

Lucy (in IN)

Alice said...

This post really made me laugh:)
So what is he giving you for Christmas?I think you could ask for anything you want, at this point!:)

Jo said...

as I was reading your post I had to laugh.
"So today I am cutting up strips to make a king size guilt" I king size quilt or a king size quilt. I am guessing both. Have fun sewing.

Marilyn W said...

Just spend the rest of TODAY making up 50 zip lock bags with the dry ingredients for the cookies...THEN when you need to do them, pull out a couple and give your HUSBAND cooking lessons to help lighten your load. I mean...since YOU are making HIM a quilt, it's the least HE can do for all your obligations.

Let me know if I can help by sending you a few blocks!!! Would love to help out.

Email me your address if you're interested...

Tonya Ricucci said...

sure, it'll only take you a week or so to whip up that king-sized quilt. d'oh!