Monday, November 08, 2010

Near and far quilts and a recipe...

Yesterday I spent a lot of time loading and editing photos from Quilt Festival in Houston. I also spent a lot of time unloading my suitcase and carry-on bags...the joy of travel!

One blogger emailed and asked me to name my favorite quilt from the festival. Ouch...I really liked so many quilts but for very different reasons. Not sure I can choose just one.
This giant Wedding Ring by Keiko Goke is amazing if for no other reason than it was one that Tonya and I both loved! (we agreed on a quilt! stop the presses!) This quilt is equally impressive at a distance and up close. Something I find disappointing with many quilts. You see a quilt across the hall, you catch your breath, you battle your way through the crowd only to find that when you are arms length away you aren't so excited anymore.

On the other hand there is this quilt from Japan (insert "my-bad" here...I tried taking photos of the nameplates instead of keeping notes only to find the quilt photo and the nameplates photos didn't load in order on my camera...)
This quilt has so much happening and has really impressive workmanship. I admit to not being a bit sunbonnet sue fan (ok, sometimes she makes my skin crawl) but this quilt took yet another pattern I had sworn off of and made me like it. That is saying something.
I have to include this quilt as well....inside the face of the young boy are a multitude of other faces....for reference this a a large quilt! Now I have a new goal for my own quilting - to make it equally as interesting up close and at a distance.

So why now a recipe? I had promised to post this before I left for Houston but I got overwhelmed by packing, planning and all that "stuff." I received a reminder email last night by a blogger overwhelmed with zucchini!Zucchini Quiche

1 9-inch piecrust
salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon of each)
2 cups of zucchini chopped to about 1/2 inch cubes
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of shredded cheese (I use whatever is leftover in the fridge...usually a mixture of cheddar, Monterrey Jack, Italian or Mexican mix)
2 Tablespoons of flour
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced mushroom
2 large eggs
1 cup of half and half (I usually split this 1/2 half and half and 1/2 milk)
1 teaspoon of mixed herbs (Italian or Fine Herbs)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Trim Zucchini and cube. Place in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to drain/dry for 15-20 minutes. Add olive oil to a hot pan and cook zucchini until just tender. Remove zucchini with a slotted spoot from pan. Add the onion and mushroom to the pan and cook until the onion is tender. Again using a slotted spoon remove the onion and mushroom and add to the zucchini. (you do not want this mixture to be watery.) Sprinkle with the mixed herbs and flour then toss.

Spread half o cheese over bottom of the piecrust. Spoon the zucchini mixture onto the cheese. Top with remaining cheese.

In a medium bowl beat eggs until frothy. Beat half-and-half into the eggs and then pour into the pie shell. Bake until the center appears set when the pie plat is gently bumped. About 35 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.

Quiches are sort of like soups to me...I use whatever I have available! So feel free to add some chopped peppers, a small bit of tomato, or some different cheeses to this.

9 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

that was a lovely quilt, the dyed fabrics were scrumptious.... so glad to finally meet you! though not nearly enough time spent chatting... H ope you shopped a lot! ;-) i sure did!

Loris said...

Interesting post on the quilts you shared. And a great recipe :-)
Thanks for sharing the pics. Would love to see more.

judith lockhart said...

Thanks for showing some pics - there is just NO show that compares with Houston!! So glad you got to go this year and enjoy! Love the colorful wedding ring and also Hollis Chatelain's quilt - how does she do it??

Anonymous said...

thanks for the photos.

i agree about the quilts in shows that show well from afar only to let you down.

Mary Lou Casada said...

Very interesting quilts! I'm with you on the WOW factor that gets dashed. :-) Also TOTALLY with you on Sue! LOL -- but every once in a while I see something that makes me say, "Oh! Well, then!" and I conceded she MIGHT be OK! :-D The Japanese workmanship is incredible, isn't it!
Great photos and recipe!
Blessings!
Mary Lou

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man, I love that japanese one. I'm not a fan of sue either, but all that to look at and the fabrics - I just love it!

Clare said...

That makes 3 of us. Love it.

Purple Pam said...

Glad you had a great time at Houston. Glad also that you came home safe and sound.

Birdblocks said...

Just happen to stumble upon your website (visit from The Nethelands :-) )I also make a photo of the name/number after a photo of the quilt. I do however make sure there is at least a little of the quilt showing in the name/number picture. It is also nice (usually) to have a little detail shot of the border of the quilt. That way you could find the things together again!