Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Turkey Day

I love Thanksgiving. It is however one of the holidays that makes me realize how much different it is living down South than up in New England where I was raised.

(W. Virginia plaid and gingham tree quilt)

First, there is the weather. I ran out to the bakery this morning and most of the other customers were wearing shorts. The day before Thanksgiving and it is 76 degrees out! I can remember in High School in Massachusetts playing my French horn in Thanksgiving Day parades and worrying my lips were going to stick to my mouthpiece...it was that cold...

Then there is the food. My husband is a southerner (born in Virginia.) I don't think I ever had a sweet potato until I graduated from College and joined the army. Oddly I now love sweet potatoes so I don't object to his insisting we have them at Thanksgiving even though he will not eat them. (I also make a large pot of black-eyed peas on New Years...but that is another holiday!)

And who north of the Mason-Dixon line ever thought of deep frying a turkey! This is part of the testosterone driven barbaque mystique of southern men...they may wear pink with no problem but they still still proudly cook like the cavemen. Now don't be thinking I don't like deep fried turkey...my neighbor has some "secret" ingredient that he rubs inside the bird before it goes into the big pot of peanut oil and it makes the entire neighborhood smell just too good to believe. (Luckily he does the entire set up several times in the fall and for one homemade pecan pie will fry up a turkey breast for me.... )

But Thanksgiving is still the same in one regard - it is a time to stop and reflect on all the things we have to be thankful for...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

8 comments:

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! And tell your neighbor to be careful with that deep fryer.

Tamara Hampton said...

and cornbread stuffing... we make two, one with white bread and one with cornbread!

Anonymous said...

happy thanksgiving. as a born southerner may you have a wonderful holiday filled with butter! ;)

antique quilter said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
enjoy your day. Love that plaid tree quilt
how fun!
Kathie

Nancy quiltin' momma said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I'm a born and bred southern myself that is now transplanted in southeastern Michigan...life is different up here. I understand how you feel never having tasted some "foods" ...that is the way it was for me. I think Michigan is our permanent home, raising our 4 teen boys here..almost men now...but we want so badly to go back south...South Carolina that is! Happy Thanksgiving and Happy sewing!

julieQ said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I too was not too familiar with sweet potatoes....and now we have them quite a bit. Love your old quilt!

Louise said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I've never had fried turkey, but some people around here do make it. I'm in No.Arkansas, kind of a transition area between the South and the Midwest.
Thank you for sharing the quilt photo. It would be a perfect quilt to make in recycled shirts!
Louise

McIrish Annie said...

It was plenty cold here on Turkey Day! Can't believe you are going to attempt the guilt quilt!! You are a super good wife!