Thursday, September 08, 2011

6 by 6 and growing

These blocks are a bit addictive. I've tried to use them only as leaders and enders but...well, I find I've run more of these through the sewing machine than the project I am "supposed" to be working on.
So now I have 40 blocks...the setting in the photo is 6x6...I may stop at 6 by 7 and do something on the border. Then again I may let it grow to 7 by 8 and do no border...I'll think about that tomorrow...

Birthday block made by Rachel...quilt shops and a scottie dog!

Today I visited a local quilt collector. She is in her early 90's and is trying to get her things in order. I took a lot of photos and typed up descriptions of her quilts and some other items. She is going to use these pages with her will so there will be no confusion "when the time comes." She is a real character and it was interesting to hear her memories of when and where each piece was collected. This whole project came about a few weeks ago when she gave a red and green quilt to her great-granddaughter. The next day she got a call from her son saying she had promised him the red and green quilt. "Not that red and green," she said. "Just how many red and green do you have?" he asked, as if there was a great shortage in the world of red and green quilts. Today she has an answer to that question...she has ten beautiful mid to late 19th century red and green quilts. And just to make sure he is happy...she put his name on two of them!

16 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Your strip blocks are looking very nice... they're going to make a lovely quilt!

How nice of you to help that elderly lady get her quilts in order... very smart of her to be prepared!

Janet O. said...

The scrappy blocks are looking very fun!
I love the story about the lady and her red and green quilts!

Betty Lou said...

You must really enjoy being around your friend----she sounds delightful. We could all take a lesson from her-------so far I only have one child that has expressed that they wanted a specific quilt. Hope mine don't end up at Goodwill.

Me and My Stitches said...

Couldn't you have put MY name on one of them???

Tonya Ricucci said...

oooh, glad you got to see those antique quilts. must have finally cooled off some. I know I've been living in FL too long when 85 feels delightfully cool... love love the Pensive quilt - coming along awesomely.

Mary Johnson said...

Wow, this one's moving along fast!

Mom is letting me divide up her quilts when she's gone which is only fair I think since I was the one to teach her how to quilt and probably quilted 70% of them. I like the idea of photos to document quilts for a will.

I thought of you today when my nephew's daughter was born and given a good Irish name - Siobhan

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

How smart your friend is to have you document her quilts for her. I've started documenting items that are important to me so that when I pass, my children will know why I kept certain items.

*karendianne. said...

What a cool day you spent with this woman, Sio. Thanks for sharing with us. Totally digging these blocks that are now growing into a quilt. This is just nothing but super fun. It's a quilt a girl could snuggle under. Gosh I totally dig this.

Clare said...

The blocks are looking great.

What a fascinating time you must have had going through all those quilts.

sewkalico said...

What an interesting story - no shortage of red and green there then! Your lego blocks are great and so is the Sunbonnet Sio!

Merilyn said...

Your leaders/enders is looking wonderful, I like your idea of making it bigger and not having a border! What a wonderful story of this dear old quilter! How nice to help her sort out her collection so each quilt goes to the right person with it's own piece of history!!!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Great story. Can you share some pictures of her quilts? It sounds like she has a wonderful collection. She's very smart to document the quilts for her will.

Purple Pam said...

I, too, am addicted to Tonya's Lego blocks. I have six sewn with strips cut for a few more. I am searching through my strips bin pulling out all the 1.5 inch ones. Just too much fun! I must agree that I too have set aside my other projects because I can't make just one Lego block!

Your friend's story is so cute. I like the idea that she gave her son TWO red and green quilts!

Teresa Rawson said...

Loving those scrappy, strippy blocks...

I really like the idea of your friend getting her quilts in order...very responsible and nice of you to help out!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Quilts And Pieces said...

I need to find some time to start making some lego blocks! They are so fun!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love your lego blocks!!!

And what a delight to work with an elder-quilter ... blessings on both of you!