Sunday, September 04, 2011

Twenty five and counting

I can't believe I already have twenty-five string/lego blocks made for my Pensive quilt. I don't think I will make as many as Tonya...right now thinking I will stop around 42 (which would make it 6x7 or about 60 inches by 70 inches.)
I'm finding this a great place to use up all sorts of odd bits of fabric. There are some batiks, repros, hand-dyed, novelty (yes, Elvis is in my quit too), and some modern. I hadn't used any solids until I read Tonya's tutorial...today I added a couple of solid blues. Since many of my brights are like-solids I'm not too concerned.
On the getting ready for the Quilt show front, I did get the first step binding on the Jacob's Ladder quilt. Now I just need to hand sew it to the front and put a sleeve on it. There is already a label sewn on....

Dobby has been great entertainment while I've been sick. There isn't a bag in the house he hasn't climbed into...guess his idea of recycling is to make everything a toy! Anyways, I am feeling much stronger today. I have an appointment to view a private quilt collection this week and I was worried I would have to cancel...amazing how the idea of seeing a dozen antique quilts can make the aches and pains go away!

18 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Dobby is just trying to make you laugh :-).

sewkalico said...

Great blocks!!!! I really MUSt make some too. Glad to hear you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pcflamingo said...

Elvis is in the quilt! (Said in an Elvis-has-left-the-building voice). It had to be said. I am LOVING that pattern. That is such a great way to use up the itty-bitties.

Sandra Kaye said...

Just absolutely wonderful.:):):) I really like those blocks. Hugs sandie

Merilyn said...

What a great way to use up scraps, I love the overall effect! a true patchwork quilt!!! Glad you are feeling better!!!

Impera Magna said...

I am loving your string/lego quilt... such a wonderful way to use up all those little bits and pieces!

Teresa Rawson said...

I love the pensive quilt! The name is perfect. Glad you are feeling better! I am nursing a long holiday weekend toothache...can't get in to a dentist until Tuesday...sure does put a damper on the planned long weekend of sewing...ugh!

Your eye cand makes me feel better!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Me and My Stitches said...

I always tell my cats (yes, I talk to them!) that the world is their toy! Have fun with the antique quilts - sounds fun!

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh wow, gorgeous! amazing to see how different it looks from mine. you have fewer pieces in each row and lots more single fabric rows which means they're not as eye catching as mine. hmm, I don't think you have quite as much really busy fabric in there as I do, so the solids aren't as necessary. I have to say this every time - holy cow, Dobby isn't a bitty kitten anymore.

kelley said...

What a joy Dobby must be to have around...my cats have no interest in bags unless it't the little ones containing food...

Wonderful Pensive quilt...so fun making a dent in the scrappy stash...

AnnieO said...

Love your version of the Lego quilt. (Although, being an H.P. fan too, the word is Pensieve.)

Glad Dobby is helping out with entertainment :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your pensive quilt! What a great stashbuster!

Rebecka said...

I love your blocks. What a great uses of scraps!! Makes a wonderful quilt.

Clare said...

It's looking great. Everyone has their own take on Tonya's blocks. I know mine will be different too.

Glad you are feeling a bit better. I wonder how much caffeine does affect the body? I had about 5 mugs of tea the other day and couldn't sleep that night. I've now restricted it to 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon, have put my huge tea mug at the back of the cupboard and replaced it with a smaller one.

Michelle said...

I've been dying to start that one -- it looks like so much fun!

Elaine Adair said...

That Pensive Quilt is looking very tempting!!! LOVE what yours looks like.

Sandra said...

Ohhhh brainstorm, what if you cut the blocks into triangles and sewed them with solid fabrics into half square triangles to make pinwheels? Take care. Thanks again for the novelty fabric.

Nancy said...

What a great way to use up strips. thanks so much for sharing!