Thursday, April 04, 2013

Antique quilt blocks...


I am sorting the quilt blocks today.  Funny to find one with today's date on it...minus a few years of course!  Nice sentiment though..."May you be happy."


I like to use blocks for inspiration for new quilts...this one won a ribbon in our last show.


They also are great for fabric studies.  Since most of the blocks haven't been washed the colors are closer to what they would have been for the maker.

Isn't this a wonderful brown print!  Browns are notorious for fading and cracking so to have an unused piece really gives a better idea of the original fabric.

Aren't these indigos wonderful...and the indigo with cheddar that adds so much life to the block...

And an earlier star with more indigo and cheddar!

I'll also collect fabrics.  These are some old turkey red salesman's samples with the labels still attached!  Research to do there...

Even those that are quilted are still easier to transport and collect then an entire quilt...though I do not cut up quilts myself.  (these mostly came from antique shops or shows in the 1990's...)

5 comments:

Karen said...

The bow tie block is a wild one.

Janet O. said...

I love seeing "the real thing". Gives me more perspective on some of the repro fabrics I see and think, "Did they really make fabric like that?" Apparently so. : )

Karendianne said...

I'm with Janet wondering if they made some of these repro's we did - apparently yes. Enjoyed the post.

antique quilter said...

oh I love seeing these blocks and the turkey red samples
I think I have one of those will take a picture and send you that has been reproduced let me look for it.
I love using antique blocks as inspiration for my quilts too, thanks for sharing these
Kathie

Gypsy Quilter said...

Thanks for the inspiration. Everything old is new again!