Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Invaded by Golfers....

Once a year Augusta, where I live now, is on the map.  The Masters Golf Tournament brings folks from all over the globe to this little town and boy does it change things.

On the good side: there are lots of concerts and events going on all week; the city cleans up well; the restaurants step up their game so even though they are more crowded the food is better and more varied; and well, even if you don't like golf it just makes everything a bit more interesting!

The down side: you have to be careful to avoid certain parts of town during certain times of the day due to gridlock traffic; some of my favorite stores and restaurants are just off limits due to crowds; and it is pretty much impossible to get anything done because local folks are either busy supporting the event or have left town to avoid the event.

For instance I need to do an appraisal on a quilt that has been donated to a local museum and of course the client needs it done this week.  Remember that traffic I mentioned?  Yup...no way around it.  Remember that impossible to get with folks due to their being busy supporting the event?  Yup...the museum is not crazy about having to pull the quilt out for me to view right now because they are short staffed and hope this week to have lots of traffic through the museum.  Oh well...we will make it work....

Interestingly I have seen the quilt before...it was on display about 7 years ago!  I really liked the slant board display used here.  The fringe is all hand knotted and really a nice addition to this circa 1840 quilt.


10 comments:

Karendianne said...

That fringe is really interesting! Good luck with the crowd. I know how you feel, how the City changes - here it's the TPC. That said, I think we all know Augusta is way more Classic!!!

Janet O. said...

I've been thinking of you as I have heard ads for The Masters on TV. I remembered that you are in the thick of it. Good luck with the challenges it presents.
That quilt is wonderful! I love the layout of the flowers and stars. I've never seen fringe added like that. What an interesting touch.

Dawn said...

I remember the traffic at Hazeltine when they host the Masters! To see this quilt - so worth it!!
LOVE hand tied fringes.

Frog Quilter said...

I don't envy you. I went to the masters a few years ago. It was magical. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing the quilt. Hugs. Not long now for Ireland!!!!!!

Betty Lou said...

What an exciting time in Augusta; we will all be watching this week-end. Oh my, what a beautiful quilt and in such good condition.

Candace said...

Gorgeous quilt!

sewkalico said...

Sounds frustrating, but you like golf as I recall? That quilt is lovely

Impera Magna said...

Yup... flowers, pollen, and golf tournaments! Fortunately, we don't have a regular tournament here but we will have the US Open next year (both the men's and the women's, a week apart)... so I do know about the traffic issue.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the quilt... it's a beauty. I didn't know about folks adding a fringe to quilts... that's interesting.

Judy in Michigan said...

Can you tell us the value of this quilt? It is amazing - hope I look that good in 2186!!

regan said...

That hexie quilt is stunning! And I love your new photo with you holding your banner quilt. Awesome!