Monday, April 22, 2013

Tobacco Felt Quilt

One of the things I love about doing quilt appraisals or consultations is you almost always see something come across the table that you've never seen before!

This time it was some very faded tobacco felts on the "Flag Quilt" in the photo above.  I have seen lots of felts representing all sorts of flags, American Indian rugs, and sports figures but I had never seen on with Kewpie Dolls!

I'm so glad I had my magnifying glass with me or I may have missed it.  (Ah yes folks...a genuine Sherlockian  quilt moment!)

Thanks to Tim Latimar for confirming they were tobacco felts.  (now if I could just get the photos to post right side up....) He linked me to a past auction that had a dozen or so in a lot.  A couple were they same type as in the quilt!  This also helps date the quilt as the Kewpies were only issued from 1914-1916.

Here are a few photos of what they would have looked like in a bit better shape...

The history of the Kewpie Doll creator, Rose O'Neil,  is interesting.  She was one of the earliest successful women illustrators.  Check out her story on Wikipedia....

You can check out more Tobacco Felt or Tobacco label quilts on the Quilt Index...



6 comments:

Karen said...

I had a bunch of the tobacco flags at one time but ended up selling them. Of course, I have since regretted it but won't allow myself to start another collection of them. I can remember my brother's having some that they played with when they were young.

Janet O. said...

I had never heard of tobacco felts. I'll have to read up on them.
Too bad the kewpies were so faded. I have always thought they are so cute.

The Civil War Quilter said...

What a find! Amazing.

Merilyn said...

This is really fascinating, I've never seen anything like that before!!!

Donna said...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge so generously at our Quilt Show. I sure learned a lot just listening in on your evaluations. Hope to make it to Charleston and learn more.

McIrish Annie said...

Had never seen one of these quilts. What is tobacco felts? Love the kewpies!