Monday, April 01, 2013

More embroidered blocks...

First some exciting news...I'm getting a new-to-me sewing table!  I hope it will help with the sore shoulders I'be been getting when I put the quilt tops together or bind them...little table was no help there!  Anyway, this also means some serious cleaning and organizing so the table will fit in my rather crowded (a nice term for "out of control!") sewing space!  I have until Friday...that is when my DH and I drive down to a farm and pick it up.  Lots of time but lots of work to do!

The farm has three new foals!  Amazing the difference a few hours makes to the Mom...the one with the foal born that morning was not happy about having folks near her baby...the one with the two day old foal was checking out my pocket for treats with a "oh ya, want to see the kid?" sort of attitude!

So while cleaning the sewing room I found a box with some vintage embroidered blocks that I bought years ago.

Very appropriate for the spring season, no?

The print on the bottoms readss "NO203C Quilt Blocks  100% cotton Preshrunk Indianhead  American Thread Co Use Star Thread 30_"  Now I am curious what all that means and if it will tell me when these may have been made.




8 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

exciting~! I love my table made all the difference when quilting. love those little blocks. could be anywhere from the 30's to the 50's to my untrained eye.

good luck with the research. keep us posted.

Janet O. said...

Oh, how fun to be getting a new table! Good for you!
Aren't animals interesting?
What cute little blocks. So do you have something in mind for them now?

Impera Magna said...

Awww... what cute little babies! So sweet!

The American Thread Co merged/was bought up by Coats... later Coats and Clark, I believe... the blocks look '40s-'50s-ish. Coats & Clark still makes Star quilting thread.

sewkalico said...

A new table yay! Cute blocks!

Donna Keating said...

I too have collected many vintage embroidery pieces over the years. They are always so fun.

quiltmom anna said...

Sio,
I love the little embroidery blocks- My mom had lots of the Aunt martha embroider transfers and a few years ago I got some of them from an Aussie quilting friend- just because -
My mom no longer embroiders as she has arithritic hands but she did beautiful work at one time. Her standard wedding gift was a pair of embroidered pillowcases with a new pair of pillows.
I will be interested to read which decade the blocks come from- I will look forward to seeing your new ergonomic table.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Me and My Stitches said...

Glad you are getting a new table soon - hopefully it will be the perfect solution to your sore back! The horses are so beautiful - I just want to pet them. Cute little embroidery blocks. They remind me of some towels that my great aunt gave to me.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I look forward to seeing your new sewing table...anything that makes the job easier has got to be a bonus :o)