Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ned some quiet time...

Once again I'm a bit overwhelmed by events...between being very busy with quilts and the crazy news here in the U.S.  I think today may be a good day to hide in the sewing room...

Last month I had very little on them my calendar for quilting...this month it is a bit crazy!  Ten appraisals...a guild program...two donation quilts...a lecture and quilt history day and a deadline for entering a quilt in a show (which means finally getting that binding sewn down!)  Spending so much time working on my sewing room earlier this month has be running behind!

Though the sewing room is looking so much better...and I am getting very good at folding fabric!  There are four cabinets for fabric in the room and they are all now full (this was an in-process photo...)

This is one of the donation tops I may try and quilt up today.  It has been in the UFO stack for at least a year.

Sometimes it is good to have a stack ready just in case...

I finished my applique block for my guild's annual donation quilt that supports Camp Rainbow.  We are using a Piece of Cake pattern with grey backgrounds.  We used gray for two reasons - first, it is the guild's 25th anniversary and second, there are so many gray fabrics on the market!

I've been working on this committee and this has been a stretch for me...wild colors!  If you are a fabric history person it is a fun quilt...we have fabrics from Piece of Cake's first fabric line in there!

  There is also some Kaffe, some batik, and a bit of a lot of other fabric lines.  In the block I made there are over 25 different fabrics!

Now, off to get some real work done and hide from the news on the television....bombings in Boston, explosions in Texas, poisoned mail from Memphis...I need some fabric therapy time...

12 comments:

MB in MI said...

Breathe in ...breathe out :-) Your applique blocks are very pretty!!

Impera Magna said...

Fabric therapy is good for times like these... avoiding too much of the news is also good.

Love your new photo! You look gorgeous!

Nifty Quilts said...

Love those applique blocks. They look so modern on the gray.

Janet O. said...

My sewing room is my happy place!! Right now I'd like to hide there, too!
I love the blocks on the gray backgrounds. Would never have suspected how good that would look. : )
(BTW, I've been meaning to tell you I love the new profile photo--nice 'do!)

Karendianne said...

Definitely a good day to chill with the fabric. Totally love your appliqué block. How fun those are. I really like how you mixed up the fabrics. :)

sewkalico said...

I hope you get that quiet time! I could do with some too, but for different reasons that are small and get into everything!
The applique blocks are stunning and your fabric cupboards are looking good.

Cathy said...

I really like the leaf quilt. The Guild quilt is going to be spectacular. Hugs

sandra said...

I understand the need for quiet. If I go too many weeks without a chill day I gat antsy. And as far as the news goes I don't know why people have to bomb innocent people minding their own business. just plain crazy.

Betty Lou said...

Good idea, just have a no outside interference day. I think this has been a very difficult time for the nation. All your quilts are lovely---------remember not to overdue.

Betty Lou said...

Good idea, just have a no outside interference day. I think this has been a very difficult time for the nation. All your quilts are lovely---------remember not to overdue.

Kelly said...

I love quiet days of sewing. They can recharge and refresh like nothing else! I really enjoyed your presentation at our guild this week. I've been thinking of starting an EPP project...you may have given me the final nudge! Thanks.

cityquilter grace said...

gray is a great choice, it's a neutral but so many times it gets ignored to use as a background. i used it in my scrappy amish pinwheel and i love it!