Monday, April 06, 2015

New Southern Qult

Sure glad I stopped by a local estate sale this weekend.

There were several quilts and loads of sewing things!  Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well so I just bought two and got home.  I am happy with what I got though!

They were made by Mattie Clemons, a local Augusta woman.  She primarily was a seamstress but she did make some quilts.  This quilts checks all the "Southern Quilt" boxes - liberated/random pieced, large or primitive quilting stitches for the elbow/baptist fans, and used a variety of fabrics...

I love the back on this one...

For over 75 years there was a textile mill here in Augusta that made denim fabrics.  Last October I was in the now empty mill to take photos.

The pit where the indigo dyed the cotton threads is till stained in shades of blue...

and this is the "stairway to hell" as the building had no air conditioning and the weaving looms were on the second floor...

It would be nice to be able to link this quilt to a bit of Augusta history.


8 comments:

Chantal said...

Great find. How big are they? Love the fan quilt. It has so many lovely fabric (not all are cotton, I presume). Very nice.

Karen said...

The back of the quilt you show really has a lot of interest. You scored well on your purchases.

Janet O. said...

A couple of wonderful finds!
The textile mill is fascinating.

Tonya Ricucci said...

yay, very fun!

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! You got some real beauties. The fan quilt is delightful!

deb oldenburg said...

loving the fan quilt --the setting, the colors everything about it-me--jealous

Sue said...

Wow is right I am so glad a lover of the age got those quilts. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

Love these old quilts! The first one is almost a "liberated Amish" one, isn't it? And the fans are so fun! Different from any of the other fan quilts I've ever seen. Love that blue pieced back too!

I'm so glad that someone who loves quilts got these beauties and they won't be used for moving furniture or car drop cloths!!