Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Why is paint so difficult?!


Happy dance...the floor for my new sewing studio is in!  It is a bamboo floor...will be so much easier than the wall to wall rug that was in there!

Not so happy...have to pick out wall paint color by tomorrow morning!  Say what?  I hate deadlines....but of course it does shorten the amount of time I can spend moaning about it!

So what do you think?  I have it narrowed down to these three...to almost indistinguishable shades of beige and a grey.

Grey...who would have thought it.  But looking at the raw boards in the room got me thinking....  Most of my boxes, storage containers and decorating "stuff" are in the red and bright green (with a bit of turquoise.)  Heavily influenced by a long standing love off Mary Engelbright prints!

Speaking of turquoise...I painted my metal chair and table for the back yard!  Should easily get another year out of them...

And just to show I am doing some stitching...

I finished up this Halloween top!  I used a tumbler acrylic template and cut up some of my Halloween prints.  The top has been 80% done since November...finally I just stuck to it and finished!  phew.

Now...back to making that decision...


9 comments:

Millie said...

Look,I hate white walls but just remember, colors look different depending on what colors are nearby so any "shade" you pick will affect what your quilts look like.

AnnieO said...

I vote no gray, but that's just me! I always thought a soft yellow wall and white trim would be my game plan.

Janet O. said...

Gorgeous floor--love it!
Everyone has their own preferences for wall colors. I prefer to have a very soft shade, rather than white. Just looking at the samples and wondering, do you prefer cool colored rooms or warm colored. The soft blue would be a very soothing color. I don't do grey, and the soft beige appears to be on the warm side. I think your red and green would look good with either the blue or beige. Which makes you happiest? Big help, huh? : )

Judy in Michigan said...

My walls are a soft yellow which I was told is a good color for quilting. Your new floor looks great and I can see you zooming from one end to the other on your rolling chair...how fun!!

Elaine M said...

Colors are always hard. I like the Rich Cream but then it could be my computer screen. Do they have the 4 oz. samples so you could paint a 24" square on the wall? Halloween quilt is cute.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Oh goodness, I still remember the trouble I had painting my bedroom. Painted it 3x. I also agree with trying different sample colors on the wall first to see how the light hits it. You can also try mixing your own color. Buy one gallon of country white from Wal-mart and one quart of a really good base color from someone like Sherwin Williams, I used yellow. Then I mixed my own color in a clean bucket. It worked perfectly. Best of luck.

Loris said...

Rich cream 😎 to go with that gorgeous floor! You are going to have such a lovely room!

Me and My Stitches said...

For me, paint is so difficult because I know that I have to live with it for a long, long time! I'm not a painter, so when it's done, it's done! I'm a total Neutral Nelly - my walls are all a rich tan - my sewing room and bedroom are a shade darker. Love your cork floor - I've heard they are wonderful!

Bonnie said...

I love the bamboo floor in my year old studio. But watch out for dropped items. Mine is pretty thin veneer is all I can tell. I've dropped pointed objects, open rotary cutters and scissors and I have the gouges to show for it. But, honestly, I still really like it and it is easy to either vacuum up all the scraps or use a dust mop if I'm being lazy. Enjoy your new space.