Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pity Purchase


Pity purchases can go two ways. First, is the really beaten up quilt top found at the antique mall that I don't really need but it soooo needs a good home. A pity purchase of which I have a closet full. The second is when I come home after a doctors appointment and think I deserve a treat so I go online to Amazon or any of a dozen fabric shopping sites. A pity purchase arrived today in a big box from Amazon!

I can't wait to dig into these but my rational was I would need lots of reading material for next month when I am laid up for a couple of weeks. Ya right, like I have that sort of self control! I'd have been better off if my DH had found the box and hid it for me!
Today was my guild's daytime bee. It was held at a local quilt shop, Jeff's Sewing and Vacuum. While I was there I picked up some Christmas fabric to make some table runners...

I like the way they look "modern" while still having traditional colors. Good match with my Santa (who yes, has been out since Christmas and will most likely stay out until next Christmas....)

This year I am planning on making a lot of my gifts. I already have a couple of quilts ready. I have several bags cut out for nieces and I have been saving jars to use for cookies and spiced pecans during the past year. Now some of you are thinking - she is already planning for Christmas?! I'm told my Grandmother started planning for next Christmas on New Year's Day so I come by this naturally. Even now dinner on the 26th of December is like an after action report...what comes off the buffet menu for next year's Christmas Eve (big party) because it was too much work or didn't get eaten, or what do we make more of because (heaven forbid) we ran out!

Planning is good...now what I actually accomplish? We'll see!

7 comments:

Dionne said...

Woo hoo, I love Amazon!
Your friends are going to be so lucky to get hand-made items from you!
I did that last year and got too late a start, and just about killed myself getting it all done in time!
I think I'm going to take this year off! I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Cheers,
Dionne

sewprimitive karen said...

You got the most wonderful books. That's a very good idea to make your presents.

judith lockhart said...

Hi, Siobhan, was just thinking of you this morning as I was reading the latest book by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston. Of course it is bright and colorful like I enjoy but, the interesting part is that Gwen gets her ideas from antique quilts. In fact, one of them reminded me of the scrappy quilt you showed at our PHQ quilt show with the bed turning....still would like to reproduce something like that. Enjoy your books!! judy

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

looks like you got some goodies there. I had one of those packages arrive the other day as well. Your so good to have your xmas gifts already underway! I usually start in Sept.

Elaine Adair said...

A PITY PURCHASE??? Wow, it has a name - I've always felt really guilty and called it a 'weakness'! So glad I don't need to feel bad about it any more! 8-))) Yes, Amazon, or Alibris, or ??? THose little packets come from all over if you take advantage of the very economical USED books.

Enjoy! 8-)))

KimP said...

Wow. You are amazing. I don't think about Christmas until the week before, usually. Hope the "laid up for a month" part means "get to indulge myself for a month"!

Tonya Ricucci said...

sad that you had to have a nasty old doctor's appointment to get the package, but woohoo! so glad you got that ohio miami valley sampler book - I love it. And of course the Mass quilts is perfect for you too.