Thursday, July 23, 2009

Up to the Challenge

It feels good to have the challenge quilt for my guild's show done...and it isn't even October (the month of our show.) Normally I am one of those quilters putting the label on my quilt after it has been hung in the show....

For our challenge we were each given a paperbag with a vintage block. (The blocks had been donated to the guild by a local family when they were clearing out an estate.) This is the block I was given...

And this is the little table topper I made from it...

The original block was hand-pieced so I hand-quilted it. The black plaid is a polyblend so didn't shrink as much as the cotton 9-patches. That was a major reason for my cutting down the plaid. The madder print on the binding was a happy accident - I was rummaging through the plaids when this fabric literally fell on my head (luckily it was only a fat-quarter!)Brownie is being difficult these days...a new neighbor is being adamant about adherence to the leash laws for all animals - including cats. This guy could be a real pain....and he is definatley making it more difficult for me to finish putting these bindings on the rest of the quilt pile!

14 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

ha! your dog sits on the tippy top of the couch. mine do too. then the sink down behind the cushions...
i like how you rearranged the old block. what a fun challenge!

Paula, the quilter said...

Such a nice remake of the old. Too bad about the pain of a neighbor.

Marj said...

I like how you remade the vintage block and made it your own. The embroidery makes it special. I also bet it feels so good to have a project done ahead of the deadline.

Mary Johnson said...

You certainly are up to the challenge. I love this and the embroidery is just perfect.

Twisted Quilts said...

I like what you did with the vintage block, very creative.

Loris said...

Oh my goodness..you have leash laws for cats? That would be a very difficult compliance. My condolences to you and Brownie..or maybe I should give them to your neighbor who needs a fuller life.
With such challenges, it shows off your quilt 'challenge' all the more. You enhanced the beauty of that ol' block. Lovely work!

Tonya Ricucci said...

re the new neighbor: what a jerk! not to mention the folks who passed the law in the first place. cute little quilt.

SubeeSews said...

I agree...leashes on cats are so dangerous to the cat! Please keep Brownie in. I fear for the safety of all your other neighbors' animals when you get a "pointer" in the area. Poor Brownie...an inside kitty. My five all are inside kitties because one of my precious cats was eaten by a visiting dog in 1989. There are some really neat cat tunnels and outside screened areas I have considered getting so they can enjoy the outside. But they love the open windows and seem very well adjusted.

fancystitching said...

What a great re-make of a (pardon me for saying this...) u-g-l-y original block! I LOVE the turning of the plaid on bias and cutting it down. You now have a really neat quilt... hope you win something for this great effort!
Kat

julieQ said...

You did so great on your re-creation of the quilt block! Good for you!

sewkalico said...

Well doen on the challenge block. Cat on a lead? Ridiculous! poor you!!

*karendianne. said...

hmmm, I missed this one. A great block and here is Brownie - out of sorts due to the laws that curb the joy in life. :< Poor Brownie!

Sunna Reyr said...

I have to agree with Kat, that was one ugly block, you did wonderful with it. I especially like how you rearranged the nine patches. Sorry you've got a neighbor from ....

linda said...

I like the idea of reinventing old quilt blocks. My daughter and I peruse antique stores looking for them.