Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Antique Applique quilt...


One of the oldest quilts in my collection is an 1848 applique sampler quilt with signatures from both Pennsylvania (Adams County) and Maryland (Carroll County.) The quilt has 25 13-1/2 inch blocks with an 8 inch appliqued swag border.


I had not really studied this quilt in years. Between moves and work it was taken out every year of so and refolded...so when I posted an old photo of a heart inspired block on this quilt on Facebook last Valentines day and folks asked to see a photo of the full quilt I decided to rephotograph the blocks and the quilt. What a difference the new photos make!
C5


With a bit of fiddling on Picassa I was able to read at least 4-5 more of the signatures.
D4 Crossed Oak leaves

There are definitely families of names -Bishop, Benner, Barr and Kregle appear at least two times each.
A1 Tulip Wreath

The quilt is definitely worn and some of the applique is very folksy. The history of it however is starting to intrigue me again.

A couple of quilt historians asked for the names. Where there is an * the writing on the quilt is not legible. When there is a parenthesis then it is a possible alternate interpretation of the writing. I did go to the Estate files for Adams County from 1849-1854 and often the name in parenthesis is the name on the list that looks the closest to what I read.

A1 Tulip wreath, *Bishop, Adams, PA; A2 Single Peony, Isabella E *, Franklin, PA; A3 *; A4 Crossed Tulips, Jane A Barr, *Township, Adams Co, PA; B1 Crossed bulky buds, Ann Marie (M)ockelagar, Franklin Township, Adams Co, PA; B2 Heart and Tulip, *; B3 Berry Wreath, *; B4 Berry Lyre, Catherine Kregle, *; B5 Tulip Wreath, Hannah A. Kregle(s), Carroll Cty, MD; C1 Lilly Pot, Sarah A. Barr, Mountjoy Township Adams Co, PA; C2 Dancing Daisy, Margaret Ann Benner, Adams Co, PA; C3 Flower Wreath, *; C4 Daisy Wreath, Maria L. Bishop, Mt Joy Township, Adams Co PA; C5 Rosebud Medallion, Matilda Marisey (maybe Maring or Maginley), Cumberland Township, Adams Co, PA; D1 Winged Pomegranate, Eliza Benner, Adams Co, PA; D2 4-leaf wreath, Sally Ann Beck (Reick); D3 Papercut, Barbara A Bishop, Littlestown, PA; Crossed Oak Leaves, 1848, *C. Benner, Adams Co, PA; 4 monuments, *, Carroll Co, MD; E1, Papercut, *; E2 Flower Pot, Mary E. Bishop, Littletown, Adams Co, PA; 3 bud wreath, Catherine A Weirman (weikert) Littlestown, PA; E4 Crossed Cactus, Mary Catherine Dearing (Deardorff), Cumberland Township, Adams Co, PA; E5 4 buds, *


12 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a lovely quilt... and it's history is fascinating! I could see spending a lot of time researching those names!

Janet O. said...

What a wonderful textile you have there! And what a history it contains. It always makes me wonder, when I see things like this, how it ever escaped the family--or is it from an ancestor of yours?

Betty Lou said...

What an exquisite quilt with such a history.

quiltmom anna said...

Its a beautiful piece and I enjoyed reading about its history. I can see that one could spend alot of time learning the history and genealogy of the areas once one had some names to explore.
I really enjoy genealogy and my mother continues to explore a number of family lines. Thanks for sharing.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Clare said...

Wow! Amazing piece of history.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a wonderful quilt and such great history. A treasure, for sure.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

OH, I so love this quilt....seeing penned signatures just gives me chills!!

Nancy Gibson said...

Very common names in western Maryland. Remember that the state line was just a political boundary. Families crossed over daily. I recognize almost all the names having done so much research in this area. I have an unidentified album quilt from Westminster in Carroll County, MD-at least according to oral tradition. I will compare designs to see if there is a possible link. I wrote an article in The Magazine Antiques back in the 90s on "The Assimilation of German Folk Designs on Maryland Quilts." You might find it interesting. I will let you know if I can help.

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing. Just love seeing old quilts and thinking about when the women were sitting and making them. wondering what else was going on in their lives.

Dawn said...

What a tresure! Lots of research to learn about the piece, looks like you have a good start.

Merilyn said...

It's a lovely quilt and the colours still look to be quite vibrant, what a wonderful treasure to have!

Unknown said...

What a neat quilt I love it!