Thursday, February 09, 2012

Part two: old quilt new quilt


I finished some test blocks for the antique baby quilt interpretation. Notice I changed from reproduction to interpretation...decided I was having to make a lot of assumptions due to poor condition f the original and I was using modern construction techniques. Basically I am making one that I hope will be a good representation of what the quilt looked like when it was first made....

Generally when I am drafting a block I don't use anything smaller than 1-inch finished. For this quilt I had to make an exception. There are five half square triangles on each side of the hourglass...at one inch it would make the block 7 inches. The block just looked too large next to the original and the star blocks. But at 3/4 inch finished hst the block finishes at 5-1/4...only 1/4 of an inch larger than the original. So what the heck I only have to make 80 3/4 inch hst blocks...not too bad when you get in swing of it...just be very, very careful with the rotary blade...

(left is Southern star, right is squares and points...)

The stars presented a construction dilemma. Because the original quilt is so worn it isn't obvious if the star was a variable/southern star or a square and points star. Let me just say the latter is a much easier block to make...so of course I found that the variable star looks best.

I had not made a block with an inset seam in a long, long time. I happy to report that it was like riding a bike...a bike with lots of blue dots and one that goes very slowly!

So as of this afternoon I have made four of the framed hourglass blocks. I'm pretty happy with the fabrics I've used so far. Tomorrow I am going to try and finish the variable/southern stars so I can start the applique circles and applique stars....


11 comments:

Karen said...

I like the term "interpretation" because that is really what it is. Enjoy the process!

Lori said...

You are doing a wonderful job of interpreting the quilt block. Looks like fun!

Janet O. said...

Very nice "interpretation". I like to be in on the thought process. Interesting!

Nifty Quilts said...

This is looking great! A fun challenge.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Love a challenge!! And you are doing great with this one! It's so fun to see your fabric choices and construction techniques. Keep going!

Impera Magna said...

Whatever you call it... the quilt is going to be lovely... what a cool thing to work on!

regan said...

Your progress is amazing! Woohoo! I love the blocks, too....great fabric choices!

AnnieO said...

You make me laugh--always taking the hard road! But if that's what floats your boat in interpretation I congratulate you and say it looks darn good. Can't wait to see more!

*karendianne. said...

Naturally you take the challenge! I love that about you. :) I really dig what you've come up with, too. And mostly mostly mostly I love it when the days are flowing and the piecing is fantastic. Right on. What a great post.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love you star circle block...looks fab!

Purple Pam said...

Wow! You did a great job on those tiny HSTs. I also like your "interpretation" term. I think it fits this process very well. Keep up the good work.