Sunday, February 12, 2012

Quiet Sunday stitching...

I had to take a day off from working on the antique baby quilt so I could catch up on my Sprigs and Stars in time for today's get-together. Three of us are working on the same pattern and get together once a month. It helps keep us on track.

This month I did really well making the stars but am a few leaves behind on my 4th block! I still have a few hours before our meeting so may be able to pull it off!

My DH surprised me by giving me Valentine's day flowers early...he gets really, really nervous that he will forget. I make him a batch of brownies and a cake that is sort of like the hostess snowball (his favorite junk food which thankfully is not sold around here!)


I am auditioning some fabrics as backgrounds for these vintage blocks.
The polka dots in the middle look a bit too light but the others work ok. I think I need an almost solid. Finding good grey fabrics isn't easy....I'll keep searching. This is a "no-rush" project!

11 comments:

LuAnn said...

I've started on my first sprig. I love your blocks and that you are working with others to keep going on the project. I was sure I was one of your followers before today ......

regan said...

The roses are lovely......yay, hubby! And I like the all three of the backgrounds you chose....hmmmmmm! The center one does allow them to stand out more, though.

Dawn said...

Fun! It is sometimes more productive to take a break from a project while it perculates (for me anyway).
Great projects, it is hard to find a fabulous gray - it is such a useful neutral.
Happy V- Day!!

Loris said...

Doing your quilt project with friends is such a great way to enjoy it. Smart idea!
Happy Valentine's Day! Your hubby is a sweet guy to take such care in remembering! The flowers are beautiful.
I kind of like the background on the right. This will be a lovely quilt!

Taryn said...

What method of applique are you using? I got hung up on some of the smaller pieces.

pajudie said...

Your applique blocks look great. It's always fun and inspiring getting together with friends to work on a project - keeps you on track. Love your other blocks - slate gray would look nice - I think Moda has a solid slate gray that would pop your blocks - good luck :o)
Judie

Janet O. said...

Sprigs and Stars is a beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it come together.
Those roses are gorgeous "sunrise" kind of colors. Love 'em!
What fun vintage blocks. I would never have thought of setting them on grey, but it does look good! (I need to get out more.)

Rabid Quilter from California said...

Good grays ARE hard to come by! When I had my house painted gray years ago, the painter told me gray doesn't come from white and black, it comes from brown and blue! Well, THAT explained it! I was always looking for a perfect gray that wasn't too brown and wasn't too blue! Love your applique!

Tonya Ricucci said...

bummer you haven't been finding the right grays - there are so many out right now that are gorgeous. woohoo, you are getting stuff done - I'm guessing your eyes are behaving themselves.

Nifty Quilts said...

I'll look forward to seeing what you settle on for your vintage blocks. I've got some in a drawer, too hesitant to even start looking at backgrounds. You inspire me!

Merilyn said...

The vintage dresdens look wonderful! The right background fabric for them will show up!
Lovely roses on Valentines!!!