Saturday, February 25, 2012

CW re-enactors


Took a day out from sewing and attended the "Battle of Aiken." This is an annual civil war reenactment about 30 miles from Augusta.
Just for the sheer enjoyment of seeing the costumes and the shopping this was a good day! If I go again I will be better prepared to shop...nice civil war cotton reproduction fabrics were $5 a yard. Who would think that they would be less extensive at an event like this? Of course it may have to do with the fact you need 5-8 yards to make a mid-19th century dress! There were a couple of quilts for sale but they were from turn of the century...sigh.

There were some pre-made dress vendors there...if I were to buy a costume this one would be it! She also had gorgeous bonnets. Didn't get the vendor's name but I do remember she was from North Carolina.

Visiting the campgrounds was interesting. The older "soldier" teaching the younger one to play the marching tunes was fun. They were part of a Union Irish regiment.

My husband, being from Virginia, moved us to the other side of the field for the battle reenactment. Aiken is known for horses so the cavalry charges were exciting...the horses were beautiful.

10 comments:

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I so would have gone to this with you! I always wanted to when we lived in SC ----

Janet O. said...

I used to volunteer as a "pioneer" re-enactor and as part of the cast of some "gunfights" at a local Heritage Center. There were Civil War re-enactors, too. I especially enjoyed when the buffalo soldiers came and participated. I've made many a dress with 7-8 yards of fabric from authentic patterns for myself and my daughters. This brings back so many memories. *huge sigh* : )

Impera Magna said...

What a cool way to spend the day...

There is a Revolutionary War site (House in the Horseshoe) near here where they do reenactments... love the history dress and all the stuff going on. The fabrics I saw for sale where more of the homespun, linsey-woolsey types.

Clare said...

That red dress is so Scarlett O'Hara!

Betty Lou said...

We have been to a couple reinactments, just love them. When we were in Ohio a couple of years ago, many of the families stayed at the hotel. It was fun to see them all in costume having breakfast, etc. I love how the children get involved with their parents, it is so educational.

Hand Quiltin Grammy said...

You make me miss my reenactment days. We can't do it any more for health reasons. But I learned to sew because I couldn't afford to buy the dresses. It was cheaper to make them. :-)

Kathleen said...

i Wanted to be in a re-enactment until I realized the boys got to ride horses and shoot off canons - the women stood around a fire and boiled a cabbage with a piece of fatback... didn't sound so fun any more somehow.. ha.

Sue said...

Looks fascinating from this side of the pond and 5 dollars a yard equates to about 3.30 pounds. WOW. Fabric here is now anything between 12 and14 pounds.
Take more money next time, lol .

Helen said...

How cool is that. Would love to watch an re-enactment. Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Judy in Michigan said...

Thank you!! I really enjoyed your post.