Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday....


My King Cake is in the oven and the ingredients for Jambalaya are on the counter. Looks like I'll be spending more time in the kitchen today than in the sewing room but that is OK...it is only Fat Tuesday one day a year.
Beaded fire hydrant!
Fat Tuesday is the last day of Madi Gra and the last day to celebrate before Lent. Mainly Madi Gra is celebrated in the Gulf area (primarily New Orleans area) but in the past decade or so it has spread across most of the south. Both my husband and I love Jazz music and Cajun cooking so we adopted the holiday as well.

New Orleans balcony decorated for the parade...

5 comments:

Taryn said...

Have fun celebrating today! One of my co-workers in from New Orleans and she never lets us ignore Mardi Gras. Hey, if there's food, I'm celebrating.

Janet O. said...

I'm in Utah--I went to a big President's Day sale at a local store yesterday and in the midst of the craziness I noticed all of the employees in the crowded place were indentifiable by the Mardi Gras beads they were wearing!

Impera Magna said...

Never had King Cake until last year.... very yummy!

Diane-crewe said...

LOVE the picture of the dog with his hat on xx

KarenQuilt said...

Hi Sio, We lived in New Orleans for 7 years back in the 80s. We actually celebrated Mardi Gras at work for three weeks by taking turns making or bringing King Cakes to share. After we moved away in '89, a friend Fed Ex'ed us a King Cake every year for about 5 years. I really enjoyed New Orleans because of its mixture of cultures. Gary has loved jazz all his life so he volunteered to DJ a radio program on WWOZ for 7 years. Two of our kids returned to LA so our first two grandchildren were born there though they have since moved away. But we go back every year on business and love it!