Thursday, February 02, 2012

One month update...

It is the first week of February and I can say I did get some finishes done last month.
My Pensive Quilt came back from Judy Lockhart, longarm quilter, and it looks great. Tonight I am cutting some red binding and should have a complete finish photo soon!

I also finished two tops. My Phynazy Swamp (Orca Bay/mystery) quilt and my Pink Lemonade. I had hoped to go to Mary Jo's and find a backing fabric for them but legs and eys are a bit fragile today so instead I'm sorting scraps. Maybe I'll go online instead. In any case, I consider a top a finish...at least a resting point.
Also, I finished this little schoolhouse quilt for my friend Shannon who was selected as county teacher of the year! Go Shannon! We all met last Sunday and four of us gave Shannon a little wallhanging to show how proud we are of her.

I met my goals on the Sprigs and stars project...I completed three applique blocks are ten stars. Also have a plan for a different border...thinking I may be crazy...but so is the original border! I am trying to be a bit "looser" in my fabric choices and so far am pretty happy with it!
Finally on the "starts." I have been pretty good about saying no to projects. I'm not doing the guild block of the month, I'm not doing another blog mystery, and I said no to a major restoration project (a 1930 Dresden plate partially eaten by a dog....) I do however have a couple of starts....

Locally they are building a house for an injured vet (see my last post.) A few of us decided we should make a quilt for the key ceremony. I had used Bonnie Hunters Strip and Twist pattern for a some quilts of Valor so I dug out the box with the 2-1/2 inch red, white and blues. There were already several blocks there left over from other quilts. I also had a left over house block from a quilt I made my Dad so with a bit of sashing I made a center block. Leftover 2-1/2 squares make up the pieced border. I leaving it out in the guest bedroom until the other members of the group can see it and make a decision if we want to finish it for him.


I also started a little quilt for a doll-bed (14x10 inches) given to me by a friend. I need to have this finished by Superbowl Sunday (that is this Sunday for all you international readers.) This week I made a mattress so a finish is definitely do-able!

I also started a project reproducing a small antique quilt. Just started so more on that later....

18 comments:

Finn said...

Hey Sio, hope you are feeling stronger and better real soon. It is the "pits" to have the little nagging bits at work in our otherwise happy life. I've been swept into another "round" of bothersome changes in my worse eye. There isn't much that can be done, so it's mostly the bother factor, but a worry, none the less.
Love your new projects, and High Fives for the finishes. I'm waaaay short on those lately! Time to get busy. Hugs, Finn

Loris said...

Nice work especially when you aren't feeling 100%. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Love the idea for the group effort for the injured soldier. The twist and turn and the house look great.

Richard Healey said...

I love the 2 quilts with the houses (ok all of them) but really like the houses.

http//richardquilts.blogspot.com

Libby said...

Hope you are feeling better really soon! Love all the quilts..especially the little doll quilt! So Sweet!

Sue SA said...

I really love the quilt for the vet, the red, white n blue strips with the house look great! Similarly the blue house wallhanging, I am going to have to make something with houses soon! The applique and star blocks are great, the applique design is very different - just lovely, is it your own pattern or one you brought? Happy quilting, Sue SA.

McIrish Annie said...

I jope my February is as productive as your January! I absolutely love the quilt you pulled together from the scraps. Now that my scraps are under control, i willhave to check out that pattern on bonnie's website. Keep up the good work and congrats on saying NO. Wish I could do it.

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! Such discipline. It really shows. Love the Stars and Sprigs, and the plaid with the school houses.

Janet O. said...

Everything is wonderful, as usual, but the quilt for the injured vet is great! Love the little doll quilt, too!

regan said...

Everything looks so great! You've been really busy! And I just love that sprigs and stars.....sweet!

antique quilter said...

love the doll quilt very cute!
The house quilt though won my heart, I have a thing for house quilts!
sorry you weren't feeling well enough to go to Mary Jo's and hope you are feeling much better today.
Kathie

Teresa Rawson said...

NICE projects! I love everything about your Pensive Quilt...there is just something so endearing about scrap quilts that use every little bitty bit! Our pioneering relatives would be so proud! The house quilt for the Vet is going to be very fetching in that color way! What a nice project for a good cause! I found my start on Stars and Sprigs when I was going through URO's this week...I had glued up some sprig blocks with brights, and I think my fabric choices are my excuse for not going further. I am really liking your fabric choices and thinking I need to re-think mine. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with the borders.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

cityquilter grace said...

love your 2 new starts...the patriotic is gorgeous and will be a most welcome gift i am sure. thank you for supporting our vets!

Merilyn said...

Love the beginnings of the Key Ceremony quilt, and the use of the spare house block as the centre piece is just so appropriate - can't wait to see it finished!!!!
the little doll bed quilt is just darling too, oh so cute! Your other projects are lovely - hope you are feeling better soon!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

that is an absolute bummer that you're not feeling great, but glad you're resting up!!!! woohoo for the finished quilts (whatever finish stage that might be) and I love that quilt you've started for the vet.

Purple Pam said...

Hope you get feeling better soon. Love all your January "finishes".

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You've got some wonderful project on the go there! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Helen in the UK said...

You've been very productive - congrats! Loving the strip and twist with the house centre. It gives the eye somewhere to rest in an otherwise busy pattern. Great job :)

Jill said...

Wow! You have been busy. Makes me want to get motivated and get busy myself. Sometimes we need a little push. Thanks for the push.