Thursday, April 05, 2012

Thinking...I don't think so...


Before you read any further repeat after me, "what was she thinking?" Good. We got that out of the way.

The last couple of weeks I haven't been too productive on the sewing front. A late season respiratory virus sent my MS into overdrive which left me tired, not too accurate with the hand stitching, and not steady enough to handle a rotary cutter. What I did do was spend a lot of time on the internet looking at quilts and reading quilt books. Oh no...you know where this is going don't you...more projects!


A few nights ago when I crawled into my studio (and I do mean crawl) I started sewing together some strips. I knew I had been influenced by a series of Log cabin quilt photos I had studied that day...it wasn't until the next morning when I was back on-line that I realized how much I had been influenced. (a new meaning for "under the influence....")

I sent off a message to the owner of the quilt I had seen asking permission to finish the one I had started. Roderick Kiacofe (who has an e-book coming out this month!) kindly said it was ok and to send a photo of it when it was done. So when I get some more of the solids cut I'll have this back up on the design wall...in the meantime....



Bill Volkening of Wonkyworld posted a "woven" quilt. I said that it wasn't that difficult a design to piece....oh no...you know where this is going....


John Kubinec challenged me to a "quilt-off!" A proverbial fat-quarter face-slap...I'm in! Fortunately I have a bin full of 1-1/2 inch strips left over from the "Pensive" String Quilt. I begged my Dh for help cutting the black center squares...he consented to supervise only after I said "it's a challenge..." (he is sooo competitive...someday I'll post of photo of all those silly "ship on a sticks" he loves to win while on cruises....) Of course then my DH asked what the rules are...as in how do you know if you win? I don't know...I guess you win when you have a finished quilt and get bragging rights? He just shook his head and blames the confusion on my new MS meds....which obviously are working since I figured this pattern out pretty quickly!

I shouldn't poke fun at my Dh. He did stop at a local fabric shop to pick up some thread and batting for me last week. He also brought home a new gadget...

You can never have too many seam rippers right? And a magnifying glass and a light on a seam ripper...that is good! So why is it part of this post you wonder? "It even rotates," my Dh bragged. Wow, I've never had a seam ripper that rotates. It seams (pun intended) there is a reason for that. I use a pretty small stitch. When I have to take them out it takes a bit of a tug to break the thread. Now you see it...instead of breaking the thread my rotating seam ripper well, rotates. (I did wonder for a moment if this had something to do with April Fool's day...)

After "playing" with it for a while I was able to grip it better and it rotated less. I do like the light and the magnifying glass so I think after a bit of duct tape and/or super glue my non-rotating seam ripper is all going to work just fine....

12 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Thanks for the light-hearted, funny post. You've got me smiling!

Merilyn said...

A seam ripper with a magnifying glass - now that is something I've never seen before LOL!!! Trust your DH to find such a thing!!!!
Looks as though you have your work cut out for you - excuse the pun - with all your new projects!!!!

Janet O. said...

I'm glad we said that in the beginning and I don't have to say it now! : )
I will watch with fascination as these projects come together!

Impera Magna said...

Do hope you're feeling better each day! Good luck with these projects... looks like big fun to me!

Your DH is amazing... not only goes to a quilt shop to get you stuff... he even finds a cool gadget!

Dawn said...

What fun! Love the owven look.
Great DH has joined in the fun. Looking forward to your project progress.

Bill Volckening said...

Oh my GAW!! I can't believe you've got the basketweave top started already. John better watch out!

AnnieO said...

Reading blogs is the fastest way to add to a Must Do list! Glad you're getting some stitching and cutting time in after your sick days.

antique quilter said...

I really love that quilt your challenge is for. I have made a little quilt that I am going to make abunch of and make it into a big quilt
very similar
will send you pictures
let me know if you need some more 1 1/2" strips I just happen to have a few baskets full!
they are my favorite to work with!
Kathie

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Hope you are feeling better.

Isn't your DH great for bringing you a sewing related gadget...boy you've got a keeper in him!

sewkalico said...

Loving your new projects! And why not? If they make you feel better they are just what the doctor ordered! I do hope you feel better soon!!! Much love xka

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, go go go win win win!!!

Janet said...

That is quite the seam ripper :0) Your basket weave start looks marvelous!