Monday, April 30, 2012

Paducah roadtrip....

Needless to say I am still unpacking from the trip to the AQS Paducah Show last week.  Bits and pieces are stuffed everywhere in my car...luckily I found my camera to compter cord yesterday stuffed inside some comfortable backup driving shoes that were themselves stuffed under the front seat.
Doesn't the background fabric in this quilt just make it glow!  Is lime green now a neutral...could be!
My friend Paula made the trip with me.  She had a quilt in the show!  This is Paula with her quilt.  It was nice to hear other quilters congratulating her (those with quilts on display have little ribbons on their nametags.)

Taking photos at the show is no easy task.  Between being bumped by quilters and funky lighting many of my photos had to be deleted (try as I might I could not edit out all the elbows, other camera, and tops of heads....)  I did include the quilt tag in all of the photos.

Sandra Starley, and AQS certified appraiser out in Utah had two quilts on disply.

One was in the miniatures exhibit.  It is is the star quilt with the Pennsylvania Dutch colors on the left.

and the other was part of the Pilgrim and Roy challenge.  The challenge quilts are on display for a year then are auctioned off the next year to raise money for the National Quilt Museum in Paducah.  I had put some cash aside this year in hopes of bidding on one but by the time the auction came I was exhausted...I was glad to hear the next day that the quilt went for a lot more than I planned to spend so getting that rest didn't make me lose out on a quilt.  There were several I liked in this year's challenge so maybe next year!

I've gone to the show for the past three years but this is the first time I've had my photo taken with the "super quiltman"...an older woman walked by and said, "how drunk did you have to get to put that suit on?"  very funny...he is there every year as part of the tourist office.  The whole town gets into promoting the show and I think it is fun!  They even do a contest for window decorations....

I will post more photos this week of antique quilts and some on favorite vendors.  Things are a bit crazy at the moment though.  Mac, my Scottie dog, had some seizures while I was gone.  I had to leave him at the vet this morning.  He is going to need some TLC this week....as is my husband who was panicking about what he would do if anything happend to my Mac on is watch.  And here I was thinking my husband just missed me...every time I called he asked if I could come home early!

10 comments:

Loris said...

Well, it sounds like it was a great trip and good thing you didn't know about Mac till you got home. I will sure be praying for him. Tough stuff to go through. I hope you can bring him home healthy soon.

Impera Magna said...

I'm glad you had fun in Paducah! Gorgeous quilts...

Hope your Mac will feel better soon!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I agree that lime green is a fab colour!

Hope Mac is on the mend soon.

Janet O. said...

Paula's quilt is gorgeous!
Sandra made a couple of great little quilts! She has the Textile Time Travel blog, doesn't she? I can see why you have wanted to bid on one of her quilts. They are lovely.
Love "Super Quiltman"!!
Sorry about your dog. Has Mac had seizures before?

sewkalico said...

Poor little Macbeth :(
Hope he gets better soon.
Paula's quilt is stunning and I'm glad you had a good, albeit exhausting time.

Nifty Quilts said...

You make me want to come to the Paducah show sometime! Hope your dog is OK!

Paula, the quilter said...

Gosh, I hope Mac is okay. Thank you for purchasing the "Scottie" quilt, btw.

The Civil War Quilter said...

Poor puppy! Hope he gets well soon. Great show pix. Thanks for sharing!

AnnieO said...

Beautiful quilts! Love that lime green background. Congrats to your friend for having a quilt in the show! I know what you mean about photographing the quilts, the lighting isn't always what you want it to be. Hope your dear little dog is back to his fine form soon.

Sandra said...

Sio,
Thanks for the photos of my quilts. It is so fun to see them on display.
Sandra