Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Quilt show challenge

Saturday we announced my guild's 2015 Quilt show challenge.  I've been working on this committee with my friend Paula and I think we came up with a fun challenge.
A quilt from the meeting's show and tell...traditional...

It is called "how do you take your quilt?  Traditional, modern or art?
An example of a "modern" quilt...made by me.  Improvisational piecing with channel quilting done on a home machine.
An example of an "art" quilt..."Hoedown" by PJ Howard.  In my collection

The guild member gets to choose the style of quilt he/she would like to represent in the show display that hopefully, will teach folks about these three styles/categories of quilting.

The finished quilt can be no larger than 120 inches around and must include these three colors (with the option of adding two more.)  There can be multiple fabrics in each colorway.

We did a test run to some local shops and to Mary Jo's to make sure these colors were available.  I was surprised how easy it was!  The only fabric style I couldn't find them in was 1930's...there are loads of batiks, reproduction, solids, and even reproduction available.

And for those who like to find a feature fabric and work out from there these were available too.  (Even a few Kaffe worked!)

To help the guild members get their heads around this we had a stack of fabrics in these colorways for them to study...  We also did a short program on characteristics of the different styles.  I'm really excited to see what these quilters come up with!  (and yes, I'm supposed to be moving everything out of my sewing studio to get ready for the expansion but instead I started my challenge quilt!)

3 comments:

Vic in NH said...

Ahh, starting a new quilt is always fun and exciting! I succumbed to the temptation myself lately and am doing a new scrappy Jacob's Ladder. Yippee, it stopped snowing and the sun came out!!!

Janet O. said...

A great color scheme for the challenge. I got a chuckle out of your admission to neglecting clearing out your sewing room to start on the challenge. When inspiration strikes you've gotta get to work! : )

Tonya Ricucci said...

yes, play with fabric - you need some fun!