Sunday, February 22, 2015

Vintage twice over...

a block made by me after tracing the blocks...

While emptying baskets I found yet another old project...twice old!

Back in the 1980's I bought this sunbonnet sue crib quilt at an estate sale.  I'm not generally a Sue fan but this one grabbed me.  The sue's held up well but the pink sashing is really faded and since there was only a little quilting the batting has all bunched and shifted.
A gardening and cleaning sue from the original quilt...

First I tried to trace off the design.  Not real happy with that.  So when I saw the pattern for the "days of the week towels" I was really excited!

By now it was the early to mid-90's.  I had just finished my first big applique quilt.  So I started again.

Not 100% sure why it went back into the UFO pile.  I'm going to spend a few hours kitting this up so I can use it as a take-along project.

6 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

how wonderful that a piece of work that has been maturing quietly has found a new life x

Gypsy Quilter said...

Sue is always such a fun character, no matter what she's working on. Thanks for sharing.

Janet O. said...

I haven't been enamored with "Sue" either, but these busy ones are fun.
I can't believe you found that pattern. What a stroke of luck!

Chantal said...

Not a big fan of Sue either but the fact that these ladies are half embroidery half applique technique make them very interesting. It'll be fun to watch this project grow. Good luck.

Barb said...

I have a soft spot for Sue and these cleaning gal are so cute!

Judy Hansen said...

I don't usually swoon over Sue, but I really like these. Maybe if I quilted up some of these, they would do my cleaning? I wish!