Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Taking time to simplify

I never really considered myself materialistic (aside from the obvious huge stash of material/fabric!) That is until I started packing. Why do we have 4 computer printers? Where did all these wool suits come from (and when was the last time a size 8 woman lived here anyways!) I'm finally getting brutal. If it can be easilty replaced and it doesn't have any sentimental value...out it goes. Gone are the office christmas presents that are still packed with the holiday ornaments. I am banishing the fish plates of my husband's first wife. Say goodbye to the promotional briefcase with my maiden name embossed on the side. I am on a roll....

The quilt top in the photos is going into storage. It was another ebay purchase by my sister. It is too fragile to quilt and the stains will never come out. (I did try and now there is only one option...a sissors!) If the fabric was in better condition I would have taken the blocks apart and cut out the stains from the border making a slightly smaller quilt. I'm keeping it only because it has some truely great examples of indigo...and because I like the pattern. It is in my someday pile!

A few folks had questions about where we are moving. Eventually we will be in the Cotswald area of England. I will leave the southern US in early July and head up to New England to spend a few weeks with my family. (And maybe get to the quilt exhibit at the Shelbourne in Vermont!) We leave for England in early August. I've decided to take the "bring it all" approach. (For all read fabric...I just gave away my husband's old recliner. Old recliners and excess golf clubs do not equal all!)

6 comments:

Finn said...

Love the old top. So sad that better care wasn't taken when it was a new top, but such is life. Great plan on the taking the fabric and ditching the old recliner and golf club..*VBG*

Unknown said...

Siobhan - the Cotswolds are a gorfeous part of England - we moved from not far from there last year to Somerset (about 80 miles south) There are a few quilt groups in the area if you want to contact me I can let you have details

sewprimitive karen said...

What a nice top, a shame it is too fragile to be quilted. This pattern was just on eBay (a set of blocks in red, white and blue, all the same); I liked it so much I drew it in EQ5 to keep for a possible future quilt...also later saw it in Blockbase.

tami said...

Very nice quilt. Too bad it's so fragile.
I am so envious of you for getting ruthless with you old stuff. You have the right attitude. I wish I could get more into that mind set. Are you going to be moving to England for good, or is it a temporary assignment?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your right - the top, fabrics and blocks are too fun to throw it out. I say pack it up and leave it on the "someday" list!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Throw out the old nasty recliner (one of these days I'm going to have to post a picture of our "Marty Crane" recliner - ours has everything but the duct tape) but buy a new one to take with you! Recliners are so comfortable and not readily available outside the US. Must take lots and lots of fabric!