Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving


We are off to London for the holiday. This is our first real trip since moving over here and I am really looking forward to it! The other night DH and I were going through the travel guide and planning what we would do each day. He mentioned Harrod's and I said, " we need to do that when we get there on Wednesday so we don't get caught up in the Thanksgiving crowd on Friday..." There was a long silence. I started talking about the shows at the West End hoping he would not notice what a silly statement I had made...they don't have Thanksgiving so there is no "out of the gate" shopping day for Christmas like in the states! No such luck..."we could just go to Harrod's on Thursday and beat the rush all-together," he said smuggly. Uhgggg.

The photo is of the shelf in my kitchen. The little quilt was made by Angie (my Georgia guild.) The pottery is Irish.

I tried to think of what I was happy for this year...
1. My stepsons are all settled and doing well.
2. My mom is 88 years old and still living at home. She has been much healthier this year.
3. We are in an interesting country and have the next couple of years to explore!
4. DH has a slightly less demanding job - no more calls in the middle of the night and he can actually stay home a day if I get sick.
5. Pets have made the transition really well - Brownie is growing back all her hair and Macbeth spends hours in the back yard.

So Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

11 comments:

Clare said...

Harrods! Before Christmas! Are you mad? Try Liberty in Regent Street instead and I dare you to come out not having bought any fabric. Oh and John Lewis in Oxford Street is a must. We are going back for Christmas/New Year and spending a few days in London. Oh John Lewis (heavy sigh).

Forgetmenot said...

OOOH! Mosse pottery and a pretty quilty thing...my brain is just whirring!! Happy Thanksgiving!

The Calico Cat said...

TEE HEE @ the Thanksgiving faux pas. You stranger things have happened - I know Halloween has been imported to Japan - they blame Tokyo Disney...

Hedgehog said...

Have a safe and fun trip!! Be sure to check out Borough Market on the weekend if you have a chance!

Joyce said...

The pottery is beautiful. I have never seen Irish pottery before. London should be very interesting. Lucky you to have all that time to explore a new country.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well I say if your husband is going to take you to Harrod's any day would be good!!! :)

Have a great time. I love that little quilt - I'm cutting out pieces for those tiny tumblers too lately! So it is fun to see one done!

Susan said...

Harrod's. All my life, I've read about it. One of those places on the list of things to do and see. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

I lived in England for 24 years and never went to Harrod's WAAAAHHHH! Love the tiny tumblers quilt - I SO have to make myself one of those :-) Enjoy the shopping.

Melanie said...

I have a weakness for dishes. Your are beautiful. I loved your Gratitude List.

Darcie said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Sio! One cannot take the holiday from the girl...no matter what country she's in!

Lovely little setting. Beautiful pottery and quilts always get along splendidly, don't they!

dogquilter said...

Hey Sio,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I love Angie's quilt and all the guild misses you!! Hope you're having fun in England.
~kim