Monday, November 06, 2006

Pea Soup


Now I know what Sherlock Holmes ment when he said "it's a real pea-souper out there." There were moments this morning you could barely make out the front of your own car! The sun coming up only made it worse - it was like the fog reflected the light and at times blinded you! Made for a very scarey ride to quilting!

The first meeting went well. Everyone had nice fabric to work with (which always helps!) I think everyone got their blocks cut using the rotary cutter (and not accidents!!!) All but two got their blocks laid out and pinned to a "design" cloth. (the directions had you using multiple sandwich bags...I was very confused so went with the pinning!) I had one of them sew two rows while we talked about 1/4 inch seams and then I demo'd pressing the seams and pinning them so they would "nest." Not bad for a first day!

I'm thinking the next project could be either Irish Chain, Rail Fences, or 9-patches. I'd like to do a block that would have them strip-piecing. Suggestions?

The photo at that top is of "our hill." Most of the villages are on the side or bottom of the hills. Our village is at the bottom of this hill and about 1/4 mile in from the main road. There is a hike that goes up to the top. The area is mostly protected so I'm told there is lots of wildlife. I'm hoping to be up to making the trek soon.

9 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

My suggestion would be rail fence - works well with all kinds of fabrics, reinforces the 1/4 inch seam, rather quick for instant gratification, etc.

Hedgehog said...

Glad the class went well. Love the Holmes reference. I'd say do a nine-patch.

Nancy said...

I'm going to be teaching a co-worker to quilt and we're starting with Judy's November hour-a-day quilt. I was thinking about it this weekend and it has a lot of basics. Accurate cutting, sewing, pressing. Sewing squares together, making half-square triangels, strip piecing, setting the blocks together with sashing. And applying borders. (But we'll be doing plain borders for this first one - not Judy's beautiful pieced ones.)

Joyce said...

I also vote for rail fence. It was my first quilt and pretty simple. My second choice would be nine patch, one of my favorite patterns and really reinforces the importance of proper pressing.

quiltpixie said...

I'd go with rail fence, as I find it more "forgiving" than nine-patch for first sewers.... Worst case you trim the blocks down to a smaller size and don't have a "fence" but roman paving stones....

Unknown said...

I love rail fence too - great as Amy says for ensuring their 1/4" seams are accurate and always looks so effective when the zigzags go across the quilt - yep we had a pea-souper here today too yeeuuchhh! Looks like it's even thicker tonight and I have to go to my monthly Monday night quilting guild - sometimes the effort of going out in all that doesn't feel worth the effort - hope the speaker's good - still it's only just the other side of town fortunately :o)

Fiona said...

I will add my vote for rail fence, it was one of the first quilts I made. Also is a nice pattern to use for a baby / crib quilt so that they get a quick result.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the hills are beautiful! and I'm so glad the first session went well!

Darcie said...

Those sound like good ideas, Sio. Honestly though, I would probably refrain from the Irish Chain...it has so many matching points. Monkey Wrench is nice block too. It is fairly simple...usually two colors work well...and has strip piecing as well as four HSTs. You'll know!

Although it was pea soup for you...your pic is lovely. Very calming and mysterious.