Sunday, March 06, 2011

CW block and Dobby rescue

One more CW block goes into the stack. With the eyesight this was a bit more difficult for me. Instead of spending lots of time playing in the fabric I went for a bag where I knew the fabrics matched well...they were put aside for a special project.I took a small piece of three of them which shouldn't hurt the main project at all. I tend to "over estimate" and end up with lots of fabric for the stash!

During the week I made another "unofficial" CW block. I liked this cabin fabric and thought it would go well with the Lincoln block.

Dobby provided the neighborhood with some excitement this week. Thursday evening he got by me at the back door. This has happened before and usually after a few minutes of sniffing around he runs back in...not this time. I was up every hour going all over the back yard and made several rounds of the neighborhood (at all hours of the night!)

Finally after sunrise we found him...two stories up in a neighbor's tree!Generally the Fire Department will not come out for an animal rescue however the conversation my DH had with them went something like this -
"Our young cat is up tree...about 40 or 50 feet up...my wife is out there tossing a rope up around a branch and planning on climbing up there the way they taught her in the army...that was 25 years ago...she has MS and is sort of blind right now but really stubborn..."
The firetruck rolled up with a couple of cadets and their instructor about 5 minutes later...within 10 minutes Dobby rode down the ladder clinging tightly to the fireman's helmet.He is still a bit exhausted from the whole thing...but we do not have to worry about him at the doors anymore!

18 comments:

Impera Magna said...

How wonderful of the FD to rescue Dobby like that... good on them!

Love your blocks... and especially the log cabin block... that was a good idea!

CCnUK said...

Wow another one for the Sio story....

Sherry said...

I love how your husband took care of it for you.LOL Cute story. Glad that hes home safe and sound.

ytsmom said...

Too funny! I'm glad you didn't have to go up the tree, and that Dobby is OK.

AnnieO said...

Love your blocks!

Great rescue story. Hope Dobby AND you have gotten caught up on your sleep. Sheesh!

Lindah said...

How funny --after the fact, eh?

Your blocks turned out really nice! Perhaps I will try your "extra" one. I'm still looking for one to replace the circle of appliqued stars one. I'm not up for applique at this time with my companion "arthur" not leaving my side.

sewkalico said...

Oh how funny of your DH. I am so pleased the firemen came to your rescue!
Your CW blocks are adding up.

Kat said...

This is probably in the nature of young, curious cats.
or he was afraid of a dog .. maybe.
Nice of the firefighters. :))

Scrappy quilter said...

I really like how your blocks turned out. I'm hoping to get a couple done later today. I only have one done so far. Glad your Dobby was rescued. Hugs

Katie said...

Oh my goodness! Never a dull moment. :-)

Frog Quilter said...

Soooooo glad Dobby was rescued. I know you were a wreck trying to get him back. All is well. Rest easy now.

debbie m said...

Don't ya wish you could have seen the looks on the dispatcher and firemen's faces while talking to your husband? What a hoot! No mention of the looks you "the stubborn tree climbing x-army wife" got.
Great practice for the cadets too! Hope your little boy is behaving, and you've rested up.
I am really enjoying your civil war blocks. I finally go my desk top and printer working again, and last evening printed my patterns out. I created word documents, simple copy and paste, and a little reformatting. I'm still running xp media. Hope your feeling better soon <3

Tonya Ricucci said...

I don't know what the funniest part of that story is. Dobby rode the helmet??? hee hee hee. glad dh was there to keep you out of that tree!

Patty ♣ said...

My face is still in a big smile! Loved the story! I hope your eyesight gets better very soon. Your blocks are sure nice! Glad you had already put fabrics together!

*karendianne. said...

OH Lordy Bee this cat is NEVER going to live this down and Neither are you. I can't wait to share this with my Dad, the retired fireman. ;) I'm sure they're getting some homemade goodies from your house - blind or not - because you're really stubborn and this was a special run they made out to your house. Oh Sio. That Darn Cat!

Taryn said...

Thanks for such a good laugh. Really stubborn, huh?

Beth J said...

Your husband is fantastically sneaky and the added bit of doing something you learned in the army 25 years ago was hilarious. Thanks for the smile and tell that Dobby to stay put!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

LOL - the lengths people will go to to have a good story and a cute photo to blog about!

Dobby looks pooped...hope he learnt his lesson!