Thursday, March 03, 2011

Just a couple more...

A couple of quilt's for the applique fans from my friend's closet...

a beautiful Red and Green Applique (with wonderful quilting.) I think the corners shown in the photo on the top of this post are interesting - a 1/4 wreath.Also this very worn red and green album quilt. Most likely it had a border on it (the binding is new (er.) It was made in Illinois but the only signatures that survived are the three embroidered ones. The quilting is excellent and most likely the reason the quilt has survived. There are some very interesting blocks like these birds with the nest.
And I'm not sure what to call this block...it is interesting how the red is inserted in the center but appliqued on top on the corners.

Just when I thought the med issue was over my eyesight went today...not that I cannot see anything it is just jumpy and I am having problems with color...it is a typical MS thing but not any easier to deal with all the same. Fortunately I know my Roll Roll cotton boll fabrics well enough to be able to piece with them even if I can't really differentiate some of the colors. Of course I may find out later I was wrong but oh, well!

14 comments:

Loris said...

Lovely quilts! I love the Red and Green applique especially.
So sorry you having struggles with vision. Hope it clears quickly.

Patty ♣ said...

I enjoy reading your Blog! The quilts you have shown are lovely.
...I am so impressed with the way you are dealing with your illness!!! It is inspirational. I do wish for your eyesight to improve quickly!
Love your smile in the photo!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, the quilts are incredible!! Anne, I hate to think of you having trouble with your vision. May it clear up very quickly.

Cathy said...

Thankyou so much for sharing pics of the appliqued quilts. They are so beautiful and such an inspiration. Hugs

regan said...

What a treasure your friend has with all of these amazing quilts! And quite an event getting to see them up close I'll bet! Fun fun fun! Thanks so much for sharing! I do love the 1/4 flower pot corners....lots of inspiration for when I finally decide to do some applique!

Hope your vision clears soon....but of all the quilts to work on right now, the RRCB is probably the best....cuz it is so forgiving! I've looked and looked, and can't find the block I reversed the triangle on.....sweet! It's such a maze of color and pattern....you could lose a cat in it!

Kasey said...

I love that bird block. It would be fun to replicate. I hope your vision clears soon.

sewkalico said...

Love that first quilt - it's beautiful. And the bird's nest is so cute! Sorry about your sight issues, hope they clear soon. You are always very stoic, but take care of yourself please!

Lori said...

What a generous woman to share her old quilts. Thank you for sharing them on your blog. They are beautiful.

Impera Magna said...

What beautiful quilts... I love the birds and the nest block!

I'm thinking about you and praying for things to get back to normal for you very quickly....

Sue said...

Lovely of your friend to share these with us.
Hope your eyes clear soon.

Tonya Ricucci said...

gorgeous quilt. I'm guessing that red is shattered and I'm seeing background through it. eek, makes me realize there really is a reason to not cut away behind applique pieces. drat on your eyesight. bad eyes, bad!!! I hopes you is seeing well NOW!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Beautiful quilts - I love applique.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Lynn

antique quilter said...

I am in heaven , nothing better then red and green applique quilts.
the bird block is wonderful I have seen an applique block very similar to this on a friends antique quilt
just love it!
hope all is well by you
kathie

Clare said...

Sorry about your eyes. Hope they are getting better. My one fear is losing my eye sight.

The first appliqué is stunning.