Monday, March 14, 2011

Adding to the block pile...

I feel like all I have worked on lately are random blocks...it is a bit disconcerting!I did finish my CW block for this week...They are starting to add up! (a few are blocks I've added since I want to make a bed size quilt...)
I also made a half dozen blocks for Clare at Quilt for Leukemia. Last year I promised if I didn't meet my finish goals that I would make a quilt for the "cause." Though is does sound a bit backwards - I can't finish the UFO's I already have so my "punishment" is to start another quilt?!
I am making good progress on it...several blocks are cut out and ready to go...with just a bit of luck (it is St. Patty's week after all...) I should be able to finish it this week....
Speaking of St. Pat's Day. This is a favorite recipe for using up day old Irish Bread....

Irish Cream Bread Pudding

3/4 pound Irish soda bread with raisins
3-1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup Irish cream liqueur (like Bailey's)
1 Tablespoon butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins

Sauce:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup Irish cream liquor

In a large bowl combine milk and Irish cream liqueur. Cut soda bread into 1 inch pieces and add to the milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour - stir occasionally.

Preheat oven to 350 degree. Use the butter to grease a 9x13 pan. In a mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Pour into the milk mixture and stir. Fold in raisins. Spoon into the baking dish. Bake until bread is set (about 50-60 minutes.) Cool.

To make the sauce combine sugar and butter in the top pan of a double-boiler. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot. Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the egg. Continue until mixture is cool. Stir in the Irish cream.

To serve heat the broiler and line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Cut pudding into serving size pieces and place on foil. Spoon the sauce over the pieces. Broil until pudding is bubbly on top. Serve warm or at room temp.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Like your Civil War block. I haven't made mine yet. I love your type of punishment. Can't finish one start another. Hugs

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful job. I too really like your CW block along with how your quilt is coming together. Hugs

Tonya Ricucci said...

hmm, seems like the punishment should be that you have to give away one of your quilts to the cause....

Impera Magna said...

Your Civil War blocks are looking good...

*karendianne. said...

Oh Tonya is brutal and I love it! hee.

Your blocks are rockin' classic and I dig 'em, Sio.

AnnieO said...

Your CW blocks look great so far! What size are these blocks again? I like it when the blocks make a bed size quilt before your block count is double digits across the row :)

Sue said...

Just spent the last few hours reading back over your time in England. I am so familiar with so many of the places and enjoyed seeing you photo's. Winchcombe is my nearest town and was there this afternoon doing some shopping.It is Gold Cup in Cheltenham this week so everywhere is busy.
Regards
Sue

Dionne said...

Your blocks are so beautiful. I love those CW blocks. Your fabric choices are wonderful. It's funny, but I've been feeling a bit out of sorts with my quilting lately as well. We'll come out of it soon, I'm sure!
Cheers,
Dionne
PS - I trying that bread pudding recipe this weekend. Looks yummy!