Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

St Patrick's Day is a great time to remember my Irish roots. All four of my grandparent's emigrated from Ireland in the late 1800's. They came from Galway, Kerry, Cork and Carlow...a bit spread out to say the least!Last night we had our corned beef and cabbage (I know this is more American Irish than Irish but my DH loves it.) Today I am making some brown Irish bread to have with smoked salmon tonight. I know alcohol doesn't mix well with my meds but I may just have a few sips of Guinness with it...it is good for you right?
Irish Chain with applique border circa 1860, Maryland

On the quilting front...I have been working hard on the Quilt for the Quilt 4 Leukemia cause. I just have to add the borders and the top will be done! Good chance I will have it quilted and finished by next week. This may be my first finish of the year...hope to have photos tomorrow.

I'm also including my favorite scone recipe...though if you can find the King Arthur scone mix grab it - they taste homemade with 1/4 of the work!

Tea Scones

1/2 cup butter
4 cups flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
(optional: 1 cup of raisins)

Rub the butter into the flour. Add baking powder, salt and sugar then mix well. In a separate bowl beat the egg then add the milk and stir to combine.
Mix a the liquid into the dry ingredients to make a manageable dough - neither too firm nor too slack. Turn out onto a floured board and roll out to about 1-inch thick. Cut into rounds with a pastry cutter. Arrange on a lightly floured backing sheet and bake at 420 degrees for about 15 minutes. (Optional: brush with melted butter when you remove the scones from the oven.)
Yields: 15-18 scones

7 comments:

AnnieO said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day back! My great great grandparents were from County Cork, the O'Mahaneys (sp?).

Love the Irish Chain quilt pic!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Thanks for the recipe - and Happy St. Pats to you too!!

Loris said...

Happy St Patrick's Day! I have only a wee bit of Irish in me but will enjoy the day too.
The Irish Chain quilt is really lovely. Thanks for sharing the picture. the scones sound delish!

Jan said...

Great quilt, and I love scones. Thanks for the recipe (and the tip!)

Impera Magna said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

That is a beautiful quilt... and thanks for sharing the scones recipe! It sounds delicious...

Cathy said...

The scones sound delicious. Thanks for the receipe. Love the quilt. Hugs

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing the photo of the Irish Chain quilt! Thanks, too, for sharing the recipe.