Sunday, March 13, 2011

St. Patrick's Day (week!)

Not too much sewing going on the past week hopefully I am going to change that by working on this week's Civil war block today. I may also try to put together some Halloween blocks. And if I am feeling really energetic I will sew the binding on one quilt that is languishing in the "almost done" pile!
(My grandfather's family from County Kerry. At this time, according the the Boston Globe, they were the largest Voting family in Boston. Women didn't yet have the vote...)

I also need to make some Irish bread for my Dh to bring to work tomorrow. My family has two Irish bread recipes. I posted the recipe of the one I use most often here on my blog last year at St. Patrick's Day. It is a large round bread with lots of caraway seeds and raisins. The second one, posted below, is sweeter. It also has raisin but no caraway seeds. This recipe came from Ellen Delaney, neighbors of my Mom's family in Dorchester. I am giving it to you the way it was given to me..."butter the size of an egg."

E. Delaney's Irish Bread
3 cups flour
4 Tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
milk, as needed
butter the size of an egg (about 1/4 cup)
3/4 cup raisins
2 eggs, well beaten

glaze/frosting:
3 Tablespoons of powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons water

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Break in butter with fingers. Add eggs. Add enough milk to make a stiff dough. Add raisins. Mix/knead well. Form ball and place in a well greased 8-inch skillet or heavy cake pan. Cut an x into the dough about 1/4 inch deep.

Bake at 360 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, take the break out of the pan and place on a cooling rack. Cover with a damp towel and let cool. Frost with the sugar and water glaze/frosting.

9 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

fingers crossed for energy!!!

Siobhán said...

Thanks for the recipe! I haven't made Irish bread since I moved to Ireland. I think I'm determined to be backwards. ;)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

AnnieO said...

My great great grandparents on my dad's side were from County Cork and passed through Ellis Island. I love Irish bread!

julieQ said...

OH, that is fun...love the recipe!! Enjoy your sewing time and hope you feel great!

cityquilter grace said...

mmmm irish bread! i've pulled out my recipe obtained eons ago from the Boston Globe, a goody, getting ready to make a few loaves as well. it's the only bread we eat for a couple of weeks this time of year...

Mary Johnson said...

My grandparents were from Donegal...Keith and I plan on attending the St.Patrick Day celebrations downtown Minneapolis.

jovaliquilts said...

I love Irish soda bread, but just get it once a year. Love the family photo. It's amazing that they were the largest voting family in Boston -- that's really saying something!

Finn said...

Great post! And I'm sitting here with bread crumbs near my keyboard having just had a slice of Irish Soda bread for my breakfast *VBS*
Enjoy the "wearin' of the Green" my friend. Hugs, Finn

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Love the old photo! I will have to try your bread recipe! Or my son - he just loves baking. We are having corned beef dinner Thurs. night at my sisters. Cheers! Evelyn