Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Late to work


First the good news = Macbeth, my Scotty terrier, is no longer ignoring me. Hopefully the lab reports will go as well.

The photo is of a miniquilt I made using 3/4 inch strips for the log cabins. The difference between Bonnie and I is mine finished quilt is about 15 inches by 15 inches where hers will cover a real bed! I stitched this by hand during in ice storm where the lights kept going on and off. It has some of the first reproduction fabrics that I collected - the Harriet Hargrave shirtings, cadet blues, and indigos. I ended up tying the quilt since there is so much seam allowance behind the strips.

I'm allowing myself to take it slow this morning. Last night my muscles were acting up...I'm sure it was a combination of stress and just plain being tired. I called in and told them I was coming in late to the office so I could take some extra time stretching, drinking coffee, and patting the animals. I didn't have anything scheduled so I do not feel guilty in the least! I may even cruise past the quilt shop on the way and see if they have that perfect blue and green stripe I need for the donation quilt (of course I only have an 8-inch square left in my stash!)

When I do go out today I will have to use my cane to keep my balance...I so hate that. The alternative however is to get these funny looks from people like "I can't believe she is drunk this early in the day." MS irritating in how erratic it can be...one day fine the next I have problems seeing...standing...speaking etc. Today is not a bad day - just not a good one. I've had thoughts of embellishing a cane! I mean if you have to have one it might as well be wild, right?

12 comments:

Debra Dee said...

So glad to hear the McBeth is doing better. Hope you will be back up to par soon. Love the idea of embellishing your cane, the more loud and wild the better.

Laura said...

Sending good wishes to McBeth! He looks like a real sweetie.

Laurie Ann said...

Hugs to you and McBeth. If it were cancer it probably wouldn't have gotten so bad so fast. I don't think cancer grows that quickly that you would see a difference in one day. I'll bet it was just a abscess. My GSD Rush got a bad one in her chest one year from a small thorn that had gotten lodged in her skin. Just make sure he doesn't scratch it. Luckily it is in a place he can't lick.

antique quilter said...

glad to hear McBeth is doing better, I am hoping you are too real soon. McBeth is soooo cute, I can sure understand why your feelings were hurt yesterday.
I would be sad if he ignored me :)

aikentoquilt said...

I feel your pain, for REAL!! I also have MS, and used a cane about 10 years ago. I have days when I can't see because of the eye nerve damage, and I can't pick up pins some days, and I can hardly get out of a chair others, but, when I was diagnosed in 1993, I was told I would be in a wheelchair in 5 years, it is now 13 years later, and I am not....we have much to be greatful for, even though it takes us sometimes 5 times longer to do something. Good luck..

Cher said...

sweet quilt! glad to hear McBeth is now speaking to you once more-and I suggest sequins for the cane!
make it wild! glad to hear you can ease into your day...

Carolyn said...

If you're going to have sequins like Cher suggests, I think you need to wrap a feather boa down the length of the cane! I'm glad your puppy is feeling better and I love your little log cabin. It's adorable!

Tonya Ricucci said...

You can call in sick for the ENTIRE day you know, not just the morning. Glad you're not feeling up to par. Hope you got some good lovins with Mac and both of you feel better.

Lucy said...

I am happy that your cutie doggie feels better .. and what a great mini you made ! I love the shirtings you used :c)

Granny said...

Glad McBeth is coming around, sorry you're note feeling so great. Heck yeah . . embellish that cane. Stand out in the crowd!

Judy L.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oh Sio! I hope you are doing better this morning and that you were able to find the funky stripe for the donation quilt. How did bee go, btw? I'd love to come in a couple weeks. I'll have Connie's and Sue's quilts done and will need to come deliver...if it's a good day for you maybe I can come early and we can pal around. I'm happy to take you to Bee and back...maybe you can talk me into spending the night :cD

Bonnie

Holly said...

Those are mighty tiny blocks and so nice! Aren't animals the funniest things with their feelings :)