Sunday, January 08, 2006

Munich

My husband wanted to cheer me up so we went out for Indian food and a movie. The food worked wonders the movie was an odd choice - he chose Munich. I liked...not loved...the movie.
T here were however some folks in the women's room that had some very strong feelings about it so some advice - First, it is about a terrorist event and the actions that followed. Terrorist acts are usually bloody and upsetting. If you don't want to be upset then don't go. Pick a comedy. Second, it was directed by Spielberg so you know the blood and the action will look real - very real. (This was the guy that kept people out the water around Cape Cod for many summers after Jaws.) If violence bothers you just a little then prepare to be bothered a lot at this movie. And finally, if you thought the ending of the last Harry Potter movie was too ambiguous then this movie is definitely not for you! I will not go on and on about the message of the movie nor about Middle East relations however it is a political movie and the message is vague enough that your own bias can color how your interpret the ending. (even though in true Spielberg style it ends not once by at least 3 times - he really wanted us to get the message but in doing it that way I believe some folks that would have gotten it will get confused and the additional "this is what I really mean" endings are lost on those who never would have gotten anyways!)
I have some vague recollections of the hostage situation at the Olympics in Munich. My mother was overseas during WWII and she was particularly upset. She rarely ever sat down and watched television then but that day she stayed at the kitchen table only feet away from the television but wouldn't directly at it. Periodicly she would make me and my brother leave the room. I wonder how much the terrorism of that time period by the Arab or Arab supportted organizations influence how my generation distrusts that part of the world.
Yikes, too much heavy stuff.....

1 comment:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Somehow I doubt this one is going to play the theaters here (but I've been wrong before). Heck, Jaws wasn't that bloody, but the first half hour of Saving Private Ryan? Aaaaghhhhh.
Mmm, excellent Indian food, yum. We can get Indian food here, but just isn't nearly as good as Bombay Central.