Sunday, January 22, 2006

Wrong side of the camera



I've reorganized my photos and was excited about posting some from the retreat when I realized all the photos were of other people's quilts! Guess I got so excited by their work I sort of forgot my own! So this morning I laid my Red White and Blue Quilt out on the floor and with my dog Macbeth's "help" got these photos.

This qilt top made it's third trip to our retreat this year! This is not a typical quilt for me. Four years ago I was in the hospital so my husband brought me a stack of my antique quilt books to browse through. For the first time he pointed to photo of a quilt and said, "I really like that one." Bells went off...adreniline rushed...finally a quilt that I could make for him. A quilt that he would like!

When I got home one of the first things I did was rummage through my reds, blues, and shirtings and piling about 15-20 differnt fabrics into each stack. I drafted my pattern and was ready to go! That night I showed him the stacks. He looked at them for a few minutes then picked out one red, one blue, and asked if I had a solid white to go with them! My heart stopped. A solid white? In a pieced quilt? Me?!!! Fortunately he thought the dismay was because I only had a fat quarter of the red he choose..."this may not be enough will it?" Yikes!

So, it is his quilt. I went out and bought some Kona Snow and a few yards of the red. For the past three years this has been the quilt that haunts my UFO pile. Each time I think about starting a new project the little "finish it" voice in the back of my head whispers..."Michael's goose in the pond."

Now I only have three sides to put on it and the top will be done. Because it has been handled so much the blocks have become a bit wonky but I am not letting that stop me. I do like how graphic it looks both in photos and in person. It does not "go" with any room in our house but it will be his quilt!

I'm off to the store now to get some things for dinner. This fall I planted a window herb garden and now I have a lot of fresh herbs to play with. I'm trying a new Shrimp cakes recipe. (any way I can slip some vegetables into the diet I'll try!)

11 comments:

dot said...

I love this quilt. I can't wait to see it finished. Think of the smile you will put on your husbands face once this is finished and his to use. Keep working on it. I don't think you can ever go wrong with red/white and blue.

Cher said...

at least he picked 3 colors! my son picked 2 for his first quilt lol...I do love this pattern and he is bound to appreciate it once it is done!

Finn said...

An absolutely stunning quilt, and it will definitely be a labor of love..LOL..I hear you loud and clear! 3 fabrics? Plain white? Yikes!

But despite the stinker of a pattern, it's lovely, and I know he will love it..*VBS*

Kairle Oaks said...

Hey! I also have a Goose in the Pond quilt sitting in my pile of quilts to finish. Actually, I have to remove the wavy borders and give them another go. I just hate to unpick seams!

Sarah said...

OOHHH! Love this quilt! DH was right - I don't think it would have the same impact if it was scrappy. I am sure he will love it when it is finished. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow this is a very graphic quilt - I love it! It is going to look so good when you get it done - go for it - I really love it!

Unknown said...

Stunning ... just plain wonderful.

And the shrimp cake recipe? Adding veggies? Share, please.

Granny said...

That is a very striking quilt! Does your husband watch its progress or ask how it's coming along?

Judy L.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I know it's made you miserable working with so few fabrics, but the quilt looks fantastic. So graphic - I really love it.
It'd go great back in the computer room - just means one less place to display your incredible antique quilts :(

antique quilter said...

I really love this quilt, can't wait to see it finished...your husband will be happy too!
I think once your done with the quilt you will be really happy with it too. Not sure it would work as well if it was scrappy, hmmm might be I just love the graphic look of these colors/pattern.

Inga said...

Your quilt is wonderful! Working with strict guidelines can be challenging, but I like it.

Inga