Monday, October 17, 2011

Wool quilts

It is interesting to me to see how one technique or style is introduced into a group (like a guild) and spreads. Right now the hot new (at least to us) material to work with is wool.

Now remember we are living down south so there isn't a lot of wool around in the stores (or on folks backs for that matter) so we may be a bit behind the curve on this trend. It has sort of crept into the guild slowly. It started a couple of years ago when a few folks started felting and using the techniques to make purses and pins. Then last May we had a program on using wools. A new member of the guild, Paula, came to us from Wisconsin and she used lots of wool in her work. A few more folks started playing with wool.

Well at our show Paula won a First Place ribbon in the Block of the Month category for her execution of this Primitive Gatherings Quilt.

Paula's Monday quilt bee buddy Pat did her own interpretation of this quilt (in a large size using all re-purposed wools that she bought at goodwill and felted) and she also won a ribbon in her category.

Pat also used wool for the leaves on this quilt...

As if that wasn't enough Rachel won in the Home Dec category for her amazing and original face jug pillow.
Also this wallhanging by Judi B. won a ribbon...her embroidery stitches are wonderful!

Cathi Gainey of Shakerwood Woolens vended at our show. Based on the amount of traffic in her booth I think it reasonable to expect lots of wools quilts in our next show!

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

I know wool has been in use for some time around here--we wear it, too. But I haven't jumped on the bandwagon. It might not even be an issue, but I can't get past the fact that wearing wool makes me sooo itchy. I have no desire to be playing in it. : )

sewkalico said...

More great quilts. That cushion is such fun and I do love the applique on black! Can't seem to zoom in for a closer look, but I can just imagine how awesome these quilts must all be in the flesh! What a wonderful show!!!

Merilyn said...

I love the softer hues that wool gives colourwise!! They would be very warm! Haven't seen too many wool quilts here, but we are always a year or so behind you guys!!!! the quilts are wonderful pieces of work!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I would love to work with wool, but not happening due to allergies. did you buy some? I love those dyed houndstooth wools. that cushion is fabulous - Rach is so talented

regan said...

There were several wool vendors at the quilt show I just went to! And I think there were only about a dozen vendors total! I guess that really shows where everyone's interests are moving. I've always liked wool quilts....and primitives....I just have never tried it. My wool stash is for rug braiding, but I guess I could part with a little to give quilting with it a try! lol Congrats to your friends with their wonderful quilts and ribbons!

Me and My Stitches said...

I too have acquired a love of wool! It is so much easier (for me) to applique with wool than to do needle-turn with cotton. And there are some wonderful wools out there! Have fun!

Lee said...

I've wanted to do a wool quilt for many years and have been saving wool for one "some day". I suppose my oldest piece of wool is from a wool skirt project in home-ec in the late 1960s. I've saved wool from other clothing items too, but it has to be light weight and gets laundered to shrink it. Even so, "some day" ;)