Tuesday, May 08, 2012

AAQI quilt!

My second quilt from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative arrived last week.  I twas made by Paula Dennee of Colorado.  I've followed her blog for a few years and when she posted this scottie quilt I knew I was interested!    If you haven't checked out the AAQI website lately go on over...lots of great little quilts and all the money goes to help fund Alzheimer research.

I've been meaning to send them a small quilt but every time the quilt ends up too large!  Of course I could just cut one down...need to work on that!

I have a large collection of antique and vintage quilts but I also collect some smaller contemporary pieces as well.  This display is in my hallway and includes pieces by Tonya Rucucci, Margaret Hunt, and Rachel Thomas.  I rotate the small quilts in this hallway every few months.  They are so much easier to handle and store than the full size antique ones!

Organization in the sewing  studio continues....hope to have enough out to clean the carpet tomorrow then we can move the furniture around.  I looked at lighting options again and think I have it worked out.  Who knew there was so much to choose from!  I also bought some new stools...one for the kitchen and another for my cutting table. The ones with the wheels are just too unstable for me (don't ask how I know....) and the adjustable metal one that I had my heart set on ended up being very uncomfortable.  This red one is just right.  (and no I didn't buy it just because it is red and matches my new scottie wallhanging!  They do look really nice together though!)

Personally I 'm really proud I've stayed at it so long...tough work and so many possible distractions with long lost UFO's and the finding of books or patterns I really love but had forgotten about...any one of these could spin me off over the cutting table and away from cleaning.  Grrrr...must resist!  Amazing the stuff you find though...I mean how many easy angles does one quilter need?  I wonder if I could date them by the different graphics on each...maybe I have the history of easy angle right here!  Sad when I realize it was easier for me to go buy a new one rather than dig through my stuff and find one...I also admit to having 6 6-1/2 inch square templates.  Maybe I need to include a pegboard in my reorganization plans....

10 comments:

Janet O. said...

What an appropriate little quilt for you.
Now you have me wondering how many duplicate rulers I may have buried neath the mounds in my sewing room.

Loris said...

That is one sweet Scottie quilt! And in the perfect home. Enjoy that one! And pat yourself on the back for the clearing out and re-organizing. You will enjoy the rewards. The peg board sounds like a good idea for you. Being able to reach for those tools when you need them...assuming you put them back when you are finished using them :-)

Paula, the quilter said...

I recently went through my rulers. No duplicates but I did notice that my favorite ruler needs replacing because I've worn off the markings! Thanks for purchasing my AAQI quilt.

cityquilter grace said...

i hear congrats are in order! a great accomplishment!

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, for getting the scottie quilt! get the carpet cleaned? I thought you were ripping it out of the sewing room. keep the rulers! too easy to break one or use it so much you change the shape of it. pegboard sounds like a great idea. that or just pound in lots of nails....

Carol said...

I just don't know what it is about Easy Angles....I have 4 little ones and 2 big ones...I really didn't buy those...did I? LOL! maybe they reproduce when we turn the lights out in the sewing room.

Betty Lou said...

I know you just had to have the little Scottie quilt. I saw some Scottie plates at an antique store last week and thought of you. Saw Bonnie's post on the antique pink and green quilt made in 1847, I think it is the most beautiful antique quilt I have ever seen.

Liz said...

Congratulation on receiving your certification! Bonnie Hunter mentioned it in her last blog. Liz

Anonymous said...

Here to say congrats!

Unknown said...

From all of us who volunteer for AAQI, thank you so much for sharing not only information about our organization! We all have our reasons for being involved with AAQI, but in almost every case, it boils down to having a loved one who has been or is afflicted with this horrible thief of a disease. The dollars we can raise for research are the key to finding a cure and your being a quilt buyer will help us get there!