Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sewing room update...

A quick update on the sewing studio reorganization...I am sticking with it but it is taking a lot longer than expected.

All but one piece of furniture is in place.  I still need to buy a few more containers for fabric.  Most of the fabric is going into containers instead of on the bookcase shelves.  Even though my room is fairly dark there were some fade lines on the outside folds...particularly on the hand-dyes and solids.  Of course that could have happened in England or Maryland...that is how long some of this fabric has been sitting on those shelves!

I have found some fun "stuff."  At one point I started collecting vintage handkerchiefs with thoughts of making a quilt.

At the end of the day I liked the handkerchiefs too much to sew them into anything.  Though I would like to do something with the political ones so I could display them this year.

I definitively underestimated the amount of fabric I have in this room....even with three bags by the front door to give away at the next guild meeting I'm not sure I can fit all the fabric back into the room.  I'm trying to organize the fabric in boxes so like fabrics are together.  It will be easier to find the fabric to use but it may not be the optimum use of space...not like cramming it into all the nooks and crannies of the bookcase was!


8 comments:

AnnieO said...

Oh, no--fade lines! That is disconcerting. I keep all my fabric in drawers or closets because there is option for bookcases in my sewing area--plus it is very light and open to the kitchen. Good luck with getting all your fabric put away!

AnnieO said...

That should say NO option for bookcases...

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, you've been working very hard organizing so much fabric. A good feeling to be sure. I hope you can take some time now and just enjoy a few weeks of summer sewing.

Janet O. said...

It looks like the job is taking longer because your "helper" is sleeping on the job!
I need to reorganize and you are inspiring me.

sewkalico said...

I see a hexagon quilt under that cute bundle of kitty!
Sorry about the fade lines -but thanks for the warning as I will have a lot more light in my new sewing space!!
ps I need to join a guild where quilters turn up with 3 bags of fabric to give away ;)

Sue SA said...

Yikes three bags to give away....you could make a few new friends very quickly! Glad its all coming together for you, keep up the good work.

McIrish Annie said...

I have a big walk in closet for my fabric though it gets harder to walk into it lately! lOL! keep up the good work. reorganization is a pain but necessary every once in a while.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I hang sheets over my fabric shelves to minimize fade. does mean I don't get to look at all the pretty fabrics all the time though.