Tuesday, May 22, 2012

summer is here....


The summer heat has finally arrived here in Georgia.  The daylillies and the gardenias love it (my front walk smells like the make-up counters in a department store!)

I however hunker down and do lots of stitching.  I only venture out before sunrise and after sunset...well, not everyday but most days.

Today I went up to a small town in South Carolina for a quilting meeting.  I sat right in front of the largest fan in the church.   I still came home wiped out from the heat!

I continue to unearth more fun stuff from the sewing room closet...

this is an antique to I haven't looked at for a long while...

great collection of fabrics in it.  Very scrappy and graphic. The black with the pink "comas" sort of takes over the blocks so you have to look closely.  This is one of those quilts I'd like to use as inspiration some day for a quilt...could be fun!  (think I'll leave out the black and pink though!)

13 comments:

Impera Magna said...

That is a neat antique block.... quite intriguing!

You're right that summer has arrived.... me and the a/c will be spending a lot of time together til fall...

Janet O. said...

Wish my closet would cough up such treasures!

ann hermes said...

I like the arrangement of dark/lights on these half square triangles.

Betty Lou said...

Amazing what is in your closet, lots of treasures to be sure. We are set to be in the 90's this week and I know the 100's will follow. Four years ago I spent 3 days in the hospital after heat exhaustion episode, had another a couple of weeks ago while just trying to plant so annuals; so I don't venture out much in the summer either. Really good time to stay inside and SEW.

straythreads said...

gorgeous day lilys mine won't be blooming until late June
Ann

The Civil War Quilter said...

Could we swap closets for a day? Any day works for me! :) I love that old top. How big is it?

Candace said...

I love that quilt top! I, too was not wild about that printed fabric close up; but I really like how it looks from a distance. Maybe when you do your interpretation you can find a print that is more "low key", and that will provide the textural interest without calling attention to itself so much. I have always been fond of that block.

sewprimitive karen said...

oo pretty quilt top. You and I are just the same about the heat: I go out at dawn and dusk and not in between. Hate the heat.

Janet said...

That is busy sashing fabric :0) It's very interesting though. Love the block pattern.
Your flowers look lovely!

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt! I love the black and pink commas. Guess I go for the quirky things.

judy crumpler said...

Love those antique quilts,this is a real looker!!
Ohhh too hot out guess I'll stay in & just quilt or piece or applique.What would we do if we didn't have quilting?

Diane said...

I always wonder how you southern MSers handle the heat.

Tonya Ricucci said...

love that sashing fabric and I love black and pink! wonderful quilt. I agree with others - wish I had treasures like that in my closets.