Saturday, May 05, 2012

Attack of the fabric piles...

Do you ever watch the DIY or HGTV and fantasize that they showed up at your front door and redo a room for you?  For me it would have to be my sewing room....

Once again it is time to reorganize the sewing space...for real this time.  I am following through on clearing out lots of old fabric, UFO's, books, patterns and other misc "stuff" that I haven't used since we moved back from England.  (I used that as my cut-off point when clearing my clothes closet the other day and it worked well....)
One of my favorite little orphan blocks that came to light again during the upheaval...
So what was the proverbial "straw" that spiked my resolve?  (because I know I've written another blog about this.) Another wipe-out...let's just say vertical storage is great but when you try and get to it by standing on a chair that has one leg perched on a loosely folded pile of fat quarters bad things happen....

some silks from Paducah for a future crazy quilt project
On the positive side I did find a baggie of little bowtie blocks that had been missing for months...the bag literally hit me on the top of my head.  It is ok to laugh...I did!  I took that as a warning from my Grandmother...she died in her sewing room at the age of 96.  I need to clean up before something bad happens.

One of the challenges is lighting.  It is really bad back there.  Which makes it great for storing quilts and fabric.  Not so much for sewing.  My dining room...now there is a great sewing light and a big table.  Guess where I do most of my stitching?
a glimpse of the Chaos!
This morning I made some sketches of the room with a new layout.  I even marked where the new lights should go (never thought I would be installing track lighting again but that seems to be the best option here...along with some clip lamps near the cutting table and the sewing machine table.

18 comments:

antique quilter said...

I put track lighting in my sewing room when we moved here and I love it
I can make them go anyway I want , they slide , they tilt very easily, they are so much better then years ago. Also I have them on a different switch so I only turn them on when I want them
sometimes I just don't need all that light!
I bet you will be happy too.
Kathie

ann hermes said...

I LOVE that orphan block!!!!!

Jan said...

That orphan block is begging to be the center of a (no way it won't be) wonderful piece!!!

Impera Magna said...

Good lighting is a necessity... my ole eyes need all the help they can get! I have two windows in my sewing (and computer) room... one facing west and one north plus a bunch of different lights in here. Check into the "natural light" light bulbs... they are very nice!

Good luck with your makeover... may it go very smoothly!

Impera Magna said...

Good lighting is a necessity... my ole eyes need all the help they can get! I have two windows in my sewing (and computer) room... one facing west and one north plus a bunch of different lights in here. Check into the "natural light" light bulbs... they are very nice!

Good luck with your makeover... may it go very smoothly!

*karendianne. said...

This is going to be geat. Thanks for sharing the great photo so we get a good idea. Sio, you little orphan block is so great, it warms my heart. What a charmer. *karendianne.

MB in MI said...

Your orphan block looks great--don't put it away :-) Trying to tidy up my sewing 'cave' too.

Janet O. said...

I love room makeovers (though I never see those shows--no cable or dish or anything). I am excited for you to get lighting that lets you work in your workspace! : )

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Doesn't it feel great to get reorganised? Sounds like your room is going to be fantastic, especially with the extra lighting. I adore your orphan block. xo

The Civil War Quilter said...

I hope all you hurt was your dignity when you took the tumble! Love the orphan block. It would make a darling doll quilt.

Betty Lou said...

I so need to go through my old stash---you say your cut off date was when you returned from England. How long ago was that, I need a cutting off point, we have been in Texas 5 1/2 years so most was purchased before then. Hugs

regan said...

Can't wait to see how you make over your room! New lights, too....woohoo!

Mary Johnson said...

I finally installed track lighting in my long-term room and I love it. Light in my sewing room is terrible but I haven't done anything about it other than add task lighting at all my stations, the sewing table, the cutting table, the Accuquilt go die cutting station. I just set up a sewing center in my Georgia condo, lighting there is bad too so I need to do something about that.

For what it's worth I've been happy with the track lighting in the longarm room.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Look forward to seeing the new set up...I gather the option to swap the rooms wouldn't be practical :-) that would have been my first thought lol

cityquilter grace said...

great paducah photos, fun to see what everyone photos from the show, usually all different...

Purple Pam said...

Cleaning up sewing rooms always seems to be something that every quilter is forever working on. I know I am. The lighting will be great for you. Love the lost block.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow! Have you considered a small sturdy step ladder for those hard to reach places? Find out if your new lights will accept daylight bulbs. It's what I used in my last sewing space and it really makes a difference. Happy sorting!

Linzee said...

That orphan block at the top is amazing!