Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Catching up...maybe!

These fabrics don't look like they belong in my stash...

well, they aren't mine.  I'm finishing a quilt for a friend who passed away a couple months ago.  The top is complete.  Luckily she told another friend that she wanted to piece a strip of these blocks up the I'm piecing the back today.

It is fun to work outside my comfort zone and since it is scrappy I'm happy.

My other "not-me" project is my guild's donation quilt.  We are making the Kaffe Fassett Anniversary quilt with the jars and bowls.  It was a kit.  Anytime you have a wide variety of folks stitching on one project putting the blocks together is an adventure.  Generally we cut the applique backing pieces really large so we can trim down.  With a kit there wasn't that option.  Luckily there is only a 1/2 variance on both width and height so we will only need to trim a activity best done with only one of two quilters and a very large pot of tea.

Funny story on this project.  A block was turned in as finished.  When I was pressing the blocks I noticed a needle still in the block.  When I pulled the needle I noticed there was thread still attached.  Then I noticed about 2 inches of the pot wasn't stitched down yet! projects...there is always something....

And while I am concentrating on the two projects above I am making some progress on the liberated leader and ender scrap reduction project.

Also sewed up 5 backings for tops that need to be quilted before the show in November...yikes!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Victorian photo shoot

I used my week's allotment of energy to do a photo shoot of a fellow quilter's daughter.

A couple year's ago Amy made this dress as part of her Senior Project.  The dress was part of her discussion on why Home Economics should be brought back to the curriculum.

We took the photos out at the Aiken Visitor Center which is designed to look like an old train station.  It is next to railway track at the edge of downtown.

Amy did a great job modeling.

At some point I'm going to figure out a way to incorporate an antique quilt in one of these sessions!

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Top finish!

If you need to make a quick baby quilt I highly recommend this pattern from Missouri Quilts.  Start to finish it took about 6 hours...maybe less since I was doing leaders and ender blocks in between.

I pulled some fabric last night to piece a background and with luck should quilt it up this month.  This is my "donation" for the guild silent auction table in November.
gardenia bushes in bloom and smell great!

The weather is hot and steamy here in Georgia.  Went outside this morning thinking I could drink my coffee in the garden!  Duh...bugs...bugs everywhere!  No wonder I have so many Dragonflies is like an all they can eat buffet!  Needless to say I had to get back in the house quickly and slather After-bite over both feet!
my rescue daylilly from last year came back fine!

Also caring for my sick, not 17 y.o Goldie but Dobby!  Brought him to the vet yesterday and they think he has asthma...His breathing is noisy and a bit labored at times.  He is grouchy...even more so than usual!  Hard to give TLC to a cat who can take your arm off!