Wednesday, February 15, 2006

One of my own...




It's funny how different some of the quilts looked while hanging at the museum versus how they looked at my own house. The photo is one of my log cabins quilts that I only put out occasionally. Not sure why. In the museum it is a stunner. There is little light and the pattern just jumps off the wall. It was a late entry...at the last minute the number of quilts that we could put in the show was cut back due to a new director at the museum. I will leave it as she has her own opinion on everything - qualified or not. I was getting very depressed. WE had dropped from exhibiting 60 to 30+ quilts. It was getting complicated. Just when we thought we had the final-final I noticed a little 6 foot wall at the edge of one of the exhibit rooms. I threw in my 60 inch log cabin circa 1880 mainly to increase the number of quilts...and it is a good example of the fabrics of that time. Anyway, I will blow my own horn and say it looks great. Humble beside the crazy quilts and Baltimore Applique this little cotton log cabin still greets every visitor to the exhibit and shouts I am an American Quilt to the visitors. I'm proud of it!

5 comments:

Patti said...

I think the log cabin is one of the nicest of all designs - right up there with the humble nine patch. I love the design and the idea it represents - the warmth at the heart of the home.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Oh, but it's a beauty. I'll take a log cabin over a crazy quilt or finicky Baltimore Album any day of the week.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE it! I like these better than the crazy quilts and balitmore album's. I like the traditional utility look much better. Like I"m still in LOVE with that block you showed a picture of yesterday!

Laura said...

I love the log cabin pattern. Your quilt is stunning!

antique quilter said...

I love this quilt, your fabric choices makes the quilt look antique and it fits right in the musuem!
wow!
thanks so much for sharing this one.