Thursday, May 25, 2006

One becomes three - not bad for me!

I know I asked what would you bring if you could only have one project for a month...I've revised the question to read "one box of projects" for one month. Sigh...so much easier. No more Quilting equivalent of Sophie's Choice! I have three projects in my box and still have space for a bit more!

First, I've been working on a Carpenters Wheel quilt based on one in my collection from the 1838's. The photo is of the original. (With my cat Goldie who insists on being in almost every photograph!) Anyway, the quilt is from Maryland. There is a stamped signature block in one corner with the initials M.A.Shriver or Shriner. The center has the month and date embroidered on the quilt with a star in the center. The brown fabrics are very fragile but the muslin and the indigos are like iron..still strong and holding their color! I waited a long time starting on this quilt hoping to find the perfect fabric for the border...well I finally just started on the blocks keeping the faith that the fabric would find me! I am hand piecing the blocks so this makes a great carry along project. I've cut fat quarter of the various repro fabrics and just bring a couple yards of white and I'm set for project #1 and still only filled the box halfway!



The next project is a hand applique - the Mary Manakee (sorry about the spelling Finn!) quilt from DAR. I'm doing it in the Moda red and greens. (Photo at a later date.) The next project is of course my English paperpiecing! I've posted photos before and will again...the problem with this project is I don't know when to stop! It started as a wall hanging. It grew to a a lap quilt. Now it is somewhere between lap and twin. I don't have a twin bed so...

Enough for now...the Yankees and the Red Sox are at it again. Yes, I am a Red Sox Fan...the Yankee in my sign-on is a sign of my being south of the Mason-Dixon line too long! They think anyone who "Ya'll handicapped" is a Yankee regardless of who your "people" are!

4 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Those Carpenter Wheels are coming along great - hope you find the fabric you're looking for.
Sounds like you've got enough projects now to keep you busy and not let you get bored with just doing one thing.

ForestJane said...

Those wheels are going to be stunning! I can see why you're hand piecing them - I'd just hate all those y seams. :)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my GOSH! I LOVE the antique carpenter's wheel, but I really, really, really love your new blocks for it! That is going to be so amazing! I'm so happy you shared it.

Patti said...

Oh my, what wonderful projects. And what a fabulous antique quilt! It's interesting to see a pieced quilt with a date that early. So many quilts from that era were medallions - as I'm learning in my class from Eileen Trestain.