Saturday, September 22, 2007

Two top finish

My Dh is coming home on Monday so today was final quilting day is today...tomorrow I clean!


I put the final border on my Rose Sampler quilt. I am only putting the brown secondary border on the top and bottom of the quilt. I found it too brown when I put it the entire way around. (That is my story and I am sticking to it!) Now I have to think about finishing up the Cowgirl sampler quilt. I think I am sampler-ed out for awhile...




I have decided not to put a border on the repro star quilt top. I auditioned a lot of fabrics but didn't find anything that really hit me. I also looked at a lot of photos of quilts from the turn of the century and a lot of them do not have borders...also the one that I based this on didn't have a border.


I like how this came out. It gave me a chance to use a bit of my favorite fabrics all in one quilt. Sort of a fabric memory quilt. This may stay as a top for awhile. There is not bed to put it on here and the tops take much less space! Who knows by the time I quilt it I may find the perfect fabric for a border!






17 comments:

Andrea said...

Both lovely but I especially like the star one. Great idea to use a little of all your favourites. I think it looks just right without a border.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I just love the star quilt! I think it looks perfect without a border, I'd leave it this way! Your rose sampler is beautiful too, but I LOVE your star one!

Tonya Ricucci said...

the repro star is gorgeous and I really like it without a border. Congrats on finishes (woohoo) but sorry about the cleaning (booo)

Fiona said...

The star quilt is lovely - I don't think it needs a border either!

Tazzie said...

Just lovely, the repro star is my special favourite. How wonderful to have two finishes!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, you got a lot done. Really love the repro star and heartily agree that it does not need a border. Wonderful!

atet said...

What a lovely pair of quilts. I like the sampler but I am truly in love with the repro antique quilt. I have to say, I like the no border option for that one as well! Great work!

sewkalico said...

Ditto all the previous comments. Very nice indeed and so nice to use 'memory' fabrics. Sometimes I feel a fabric is almost too nice to use - now isn't that silly?

Jeanne said...

I love both quilts, but the star one is my favorite, too. It doesn't need a border, IMHO. I would love to make one similar someday.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Beautiful quilts! I love the scrappy star quilt as is without a border, the decision you made is a good one!

Marilyn Robertson said...

When my DH is out of town I have sewing marathons too. I love your repro star quilt! I agree, it looks great without a border. Repro fabric are my favorite!

BarbC said...

I love your rose sampler! I am a huge pink and green fan. Barb C

Lucy said...

I love it!!! and I even don't think it needs a border.

Magpie Sue said...

Love the idea of a fabric memory quilt for your current favorite fabrics. May have to use that one myself! Both quilts are lovely and I think you made the right decisions about borders :- )

Magpie Sue said...

Oh, and did you figure out what the pets tangled with in the bush?

*karendianne. said...

So unique. I love this!

MARCIE said...

Great quilts! The repro especially just grabs me! I love using whatever I can put my hands on in a quilt. Great job with this!