Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Attack Sewing Machine....


Yikes...I had so many things to do today. And what did I get done? Nada. I sort of wish I could curl up in the bowl like Goldie....

I had gone as far as taking out my DH's dreaded red, white and blue quilt and made a list of what I needed to do to get it finished. By 0900 I had even cut out a few strips and made my way to my sewing machine. That is when all progress stopped. The gremlins that I thought had been banished from my machine were back...I could not get the needle to center. Duhhhhh. So after a few minutes of playing on the computer I grabbed another coffee and confronted the evilness. Success...don't ask me how? I just hit lots of buttons....

Of course by now we are wayyyy past walk time for Macbeth (the too cute Scottie that rules my house.) So off we go so he can sniff every mailbox, street pole, and fence that he sniffed yesterday. When we got back I raced to the sewing room. Then bammmmm...may sewing machine went gangsta' and shot me. (at least that is what if felt like!...not that I have ever been shot but you know what I mean...)

While I was on the sniff patrol with his highness the power had gone out...then came back on again allowing the gremlins to take hold of that needle and put it right over the foot again. When I put pedal to the metal...well the needle went to the metal and then right into the middle finger of my left hand. Now I am pretty good with math but I still can't figure out that angle...that gremlin can fade a shot like Tiger and with almost as much power cause that little tip of a needle went way in there.

So by 1000 my day was shot...no pun intended. I was supposed to be cleaning the house finishing a baby quilt for a neighbor, and meeting my Dh for lunch to celebrate Fat Tuesday. Instead I made a quick (as quick as it ever can be) visit to the emergency room where the doc used the coolest long tweezer that sort of locked (so many fun uses I could have for that tool in my sewing room....) My lunch ended up being a banana split at the funky icecream store because don't you always get icecream after a doctor's visit?
The good news is Merry Maids were here just last week so the house is clean enough...though is is my older sister...wooops. Tomorrow I meet her up in Charlotte (with a side visit to Mary Jo's.)

(photo above is from the retreat last month...I love the color in that border fabric! It is on my list for tomorrow....) Hopefully a more quilty post later in the week....

16 comments:

Purple Pam said...

Oh my! Your machine was not happy, was it! And neither were you I am sure. I hope your finger is okay and you as well. We all have those days, sometimes. Mine seem to come faster as I get older! Love your blocks.

Magpie Sue said...

OUCH! Sheesh, what a horrible day! Maybe your machine also needs to see a doctor? Hope the injury doesn't slow you down too much.

Boy, I like the color in that border but I LOVE the whole quilt! May have to make one of those myself someday.

Tammy said...

OUCH, what a morning you had. But at least his highness got his walk and really, when you have pets, isn't it all about them, or so they would like to think. Glad you got the ice cream - it's medicinal when things like this occur. Take care of yourself.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that sure must have hurt - stitches needed? or did the needle break off into your finger - yikes! hope you get your machine working.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

Oh Dear! How is your finger now? Hope it is better and you too. We do have those days when the 'unknown' forces sometimes get the better of any situation.
Goldie as always is adorable and right. She just sits back and watch the paint dry!
I like the colour of the border on that quilt too. Very happy.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh no, hope your finger heals quickly. Goldie and Macbeth look adorable.

Clare said...

Lovely photos of Mac and Goldie. Oh I do miss my Magic. She would curl up in the fruit bowl with the apples, oranges and bananas and if you asked her to move she'd look at you as if you were in the wrong!

Sorry about your finger. You were concentrating on other things, like sisters. Perhaps once the visit is over the gremlins will go too.

Tonya Ricucci said...

ouch. bad sewing machine, bad. act pathetic and sickly and maybe your sister will clean the house for you. hope your finger is muuuch better and you enjoy the visit. wheeee Mary Jo's!

SubeeSews said...

Sounds like your machine has an electrical gremlin.
My machine "bit" me a few months ago. There was some cat fur in the foot pedal and it did not shut off the machine when I let up. The machine kept sewing right through my index finger. Luckily the needle did not break in my finger. When I took the machine and pedal to the dealer he showed me the fuzz that caused the problem.
Hope you get your machine fixed.
Subee

Teresa said...

OK the bad stuff is out of the way now, it's uphill from here! Just visited for the 1st time. I'm really going to have to made one of those airport jornals!!I'll be back.

Carol said...

If it weren't for Merry Maids I'd never get to do any quilt making. Scotties are incredibly cute but so are Corgi's

*karendianne. said...

Gremlins, Goldie, Macbeth, a great bright happy quilt and hidden there is a trip to the ER. Good lord! I thought I had a story to tell. Nope. Nothin' like this.

Hey, whatever happened to the visiting cat that was trying to lure Goldie out?

KimP said...

I always tell people sewing is a dangerous sport; I have the wounds to prove it. I sliced halfway through my thumbnail last week with my rotary cutter and I haven't put it on my blog because it is just too gross. Hope you heal soon. Sewing hurt is no fun at all!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow- things aren't going well in the sewing dept. Luckily that needle didn't end up near your face...things could have been a lot worse.

As for the tweezers with the lockable bits...I've got some of those...they are great for turning little things inside out!

Take care...and keep safe ;o)

Maggie R said...

Oh Dear, What a horrible time you had..... Hope your finger is feeling better now,,,,, and OMG You have a scottie dog..... I love scotties...we use to have one caled Angus McDuff..... I miss him,,,, they are wonderful dogs..
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope your finger heals quickly.