Monday, May 17, 2010

Work in process....

The rest of this month is "clean-up" time. I finally sorted the projects on my sewing table and was shocked and amazed at how many I had started since the first of the year. Last year was a "finish" it year...helps when there is a quilt show and deadlines. I really boomeranged after the show...I must have a dozen starts lines up which equals about two a month. Even worse - 0 finishes...that is none, nada, not a one...I hang my head in shame....
So I spent the morning sorting and prioritizing. It only works for me if I hide the projects I am not working on - otherwise it is a few minutes on this then a few on that and really not a whole lot of progress on anything! Planning a project is my favorite part of quiting. I love the drafting of the blocks (on graph paper with colored pencils the old fashioned way!) and then the hunting and gathering of the fabrics. I also enjoy the test blocks...does it look like I thought it would? Is my math still working?
Then there is the actual making of the quilt-top. That has both highs and lows. At one point in every quilt there is a time I dislike it...or maybe it is I just get bored. Quilt-top ADD....So unless I really make myself finish it the quilt top migrates into the project void that leads from the sewing table to the bag to the top shelf in the sewing room closet. It amazes me how fast some of these move and how long some of them hide in there....

So I may not sew a lot today but I will get a lot done. I have pulled a couple that only need the borders sewn on so are quick finishes. I will not start any new projects in the month of June (hold me to that please) and if I can get three or four finished I will not feel like such a bad quilter after all....
An another front...here is a photos of the back of the trapunto quilt I mentioned in an earlier post. Photographing a white quit is not easy! I am going to see it again next week and I will bring a better setup with me. Since the back of the quilt was off-white and had more texture due to the linen it photographed better though the trapunto looks much rougher on the back than it does on the top/good side. It has a center medallion with two rows of designs using flowers and leaves around it. There is no batting. It came from South Carolina. (the owner gave me permission to photograph it.)

8 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I have to be very disciplined and make myself get projects at least to the finished top stage or I would end up with way too many projects in pieces. Mine always reach a stage that I'm not in love with them too- in fact the framed rectangles I just finished was one I thought was going to be a train wreck but I kept at it and love the finished top.

Lindah said...

It seems that I always get to the point of disenchantment with my quilts, big or small. Even my husband who follows my work closely reaches a stage where he is silently "wondering how this one will work out." Amazing what pressing/trimming/bordering do for quilt top.
You know, having tops ready to work on is like having a treasure in your closet. I'm a 1-project-at-a-time quilter and when I'm done, it's like my world has crashed. I've got to pick up my mojo and start all over again. So, maybe don't beat yourself up too much over the treasures in your closet awaiting your attention. :-)

dianne said...

i don't remember if i finished a quilt last year ...... i don't think that i did ... i'm with you - plan, draft, work, highs, lows, like it, hate it, get bored, move along

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, I LOVE those Storm at Sea blocks - gorgeous colors and scrappiness. I hold my head down in shame as well. I started counting how many UFOs I have too... d'oh.

sewkalico said...

Deadlines seem to work for me too. If I don't have them, I sometimes find myself just standing (or sitting) in my sewing room and staring into space thinking 'what should I be working on now?'
I shall be holding you to your June promise!! :-D
ps I sent you a parcel Friday (sea mail so it should take a while (maybe sometime in June?) - if you start a project in June, you will not be allowed to open it until July LOL!!)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm learning that if I don't follow a project from start to finish I can soon fall out of love with it. Not easy to do, when there are so many beautiful projects out there and in my head.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm really good at starting and not finishing too. That's why I have been working on so many quilts at the same time. It will take longer to finish them, but hopefully they will keep my attention until they are done.

julieQ said...

I think you have such a point...at a certain point in a project, it becomes a little like work. But so worth it to stick it out! I have too many of these half done things, and I am really trying to finish things up...I guess we all are!