Monday, June 03, 2013

Wool Project finish


Really enjoyed doing the embroidery on this little project from last weekend's workshop with Lisa Bongean.  Amazing to watch how much the piece changes as the embroidery is added.  I decided to add a bit of piecing to the sides to make a  20 inch pillow/cushion. (this was photographed on the back of a chair...it really is flat and even in real life!)

I have another wool project that I will start after I get another finish under my belt!  Today I basted my challenge quilt for the show in October and hope to finish quilting it tomorrow.  (want to get it done so I can play with wool again!)

While I was away at the workshop my Dh was looking though the second hand book stores (we do that most weekends!)  He was excited to find a quilting book with a name he recognized...

First is a Gwen Marston and Joe Cunningham book from 1993 - Quilting with Style  I love this book!  It is really dense with information and has great photographs.  Really is helpful to understand selecting and marking a quilt.  I think it works for both hand and machine quilting.  Second is the Quilted Clothing by Jean Ray Laury published in 1982.  Interesting to see the variety of styles in this book which was written as quilting was really coming into its own.

Still a bit worn out the trip.  Another day of so and I'll have recovered enough to want to do it all over again!

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

Love your wool piece, Sio! Your setting really works, too.
Wow, a husband who buys you quilting books--wonderful! How did you make that happen? My DH will drive me to shops, but would never feel confident buying me a book. : )

Nifty Quilts said...

Wonderful wool appliqué! It looks great with those pieced corners. Lucky you with those books!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Your wool applique is wonderful, love the colours and your stitches are fabulous! xo

judith lockhart said...

Your stitching is beautiful! Isn't it fun working with wool! I attended Lisa's lecture on Friday which was quite enjoyable! You picked two good shops to visit also, especially for reproduction fabrics.

AnnieO said...

Oh, lovely! I'm working on wool applique myself and enjoying the embroidery too. Love your relaxed piecing making the wool block shine.

Purple Pam said...

What luck that hubby found those books for you. What a guy!

Atlas Equipments said...

good post keep posting. i really liked your ideas thanks for posting.

- Concrete Mixer Machine | Mobile Concrete Mixers | Concrete Batch Plants