Friday, June 12, 2015

Estate Sale finds...

I had hoped to go a quilt show in Atlanta with some friends today but MS decided otherwise.  It takes awhile for my body to get used to the summer heat here in Georgia.

So instead my husband brought me to an estate sale.  I am still looking for a few storage pieces for my sewing room and had shown him a great thread cabinet online...

Well as luck would have it we got there coffee in hand (before the doors even opened!) only to find out the thread cabinet had been pulled from the sale.  It happens.

We did however find some fun quilts.  And it is a good thing we were early as only a few minutes behind us was a dealer who took most of what we had left behind!

This first one may be my favorite.  The maker was pretty fast and loose with the block pattern so I would just call it a square in a square framed by half square triangles with double sashings and cornerstones.

It is very scrappy!  Lots of plaids and shirtings.  Reminded me a lot of my friend Bonnie!

The binding is just the backing turned the front.  See that often here in the south.  The quilting is large Baptist fans...also seen often here.  Pieces are fairly small.  The inner block is about 6 inches...

It needs a bath...first there is a small hole in the back that I need to repair.  If there are any loose seams or holes where batting could be lost in the wash or the washing motion could do more damage I always repair first.

Second quilt also reminds me of Bonnie...again, very scrappy and lots of plaids!  I think they are happy quilts...

The star is about 6 inches...

The biding is again back to front and the quilting is Baptist fan.  No documentation that they were made by the same person but my "quilty sense" (yes, a nod to Spiderman in a quilt blog!) certainly suspects a connection!

So bottom line...we went to get something to store my quilts in and instead came home with...wait for it...more quilts!!  (I have two more to share later this week!)

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Both of these scream Bonnie! Sorry you are having one of those days, but your finds should help make it a worthwhile day.

Sue said...

Great quilts, Looks like your MS worked to your advantage today.

Janet said...

Loved these - thanks for sharing! I hope your MS settles down soon and let's you get back to enjoying everything you love.

Sherrill said...

Oh I love them BOTH!! Who needed a thread cabinet anyway?! LOL Feel better soon!

Helen in the UK said...

What lovely treasures and very 'Bonnie-esque' - enjoy :)

Laura in IA said...

I posted on the Vintage and Antique Quilts Facebook to ask if I might use the quilts as inspiration. Thought you might see this comment sooner. I have been piecing scads of snipped off triangles into various patterns and think they might work into something like your Square in a Square variation if I ever get enough finished. Do you mind?

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Great finds - especially the first one. I love it! Fast and loose and fabulous!

O'Quilts said...

great post..I love it all

Janet O. said...

So funny that you went looking for quilt storage and came home with more to store.
Those are great scrap quilts and they do have a very "Bonnie" feel to them.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Great treasures. Sure hope you're feeling better soon.

Barb said...

great quilt finds - sorry about the thread cabinet and I hope you are feeling better -